Thread: finally happy with my brakes

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

finally happy with my brakes

Coming back from Swansea to Sussex last night with the caravan on the back, nearly missed out baing in a 4 car and van pile up in front of me in the road works at Cardiff. Then a few miles on right in the middle of junction 25 I am in the left hand lane just at the bottom of the steep hill doing 50 mph and I hear a noise to my right. I see a Peugeot 206 sideways going into the crash barrier. The woman just held it and pulled it back to the left. She passed in front of me sideways with all 4 women inside screaming with the front of my Zafira nose dived into the ground. All 6 wheels doing their best to stop us and abs pumping under my foot. We missed her literally by inches and she ended up parked perfectly the wrong way round just by the junction acceleration lane/ I stopped and went to help after pulling my rig out of the way. Her car did not have a scratch on the bodywork but had a wrecked drivers rear wheel and tyre. She was lucky that my just over 3 tonne rig didn't smash them as they were sideways in front of us. Perhaps it's the bigger VXR front brakes and quality Michelins I have fitted that saved the day or was just karma. Whatever happened I was thinking at the time VXR here we come lol

Also saw an Astra with engine on fire, 2 Clio's on the grass by dual carriageway one with front end missing. 3 seperate crashed cars, about 10 brake downs too so quite an eventfull journey
    Be Happy

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    Bloody hell, remind me never to convoy with you
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J VXR
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Add Moonman on Facebook
    Those roadworks are a pain in the arse atm Jal, everyday my drivers get stuck in them multiple times. But as for the approach to J25 that hill is quite steep and lorrys and slow moving traffic going up the hill regurlary make it hard for the faster moving cars to overtake (not that that is what I am saying you were doing) but the crashes are usually coming down the hill the other way as people lose control in the bends. Good to hear no one got hurt and the bus/caravan was unscathed.
    Summit White Astra J GTC VXR 2.0L Petrol Turbo (276 PS) with Aero Pack and 20's

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangoid View Post
    Bloody hell, remind me never to convoy with you
    LMAO!

Sounds like you had a close call. Just think, a cheap set of choochowchong tyres on your bus and you may well of been more directly involved with the accident.

How are the VXR stoppers now Andy? I remeber you being less than impressed when you first fitted them.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    See, told you they'd bed in eventually. Took mine ages to bed in, now they're just scary how well they stop.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    they're awesome brakes, stop really well.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i bloody hate the m4. Its the only road out of here. But then again i hate the roads up to the m4 in pembrokeshire were i live, Its full of old sods Towing caravans at 20 mph, Not having a pop at you jalfrezigazee with ur caravan, but holiday makers are one big pain in the ass down here.
    vbmenu_register("postmenu_1418318", true);

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wow ... it was an eventful journey, glad to hear that you escaped without injuries or damage.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jzr172 View Post
    i bloody hate the m4. Its the only road out of here. But then again i hate the roads up to the m4 in pembrokeshire were i live, Its full of old sods Towing caravans at 20 mph, Not having a pop at you jalfrezigazee with ur caravan, but holiday makers are one big pain in the ass down here.
    vbmenu_register("postmenu_1418318", true);
    Where in Pembs are you? I grew up in Tenby and visit there twice a month. Still have a boat in the harbour and lots of family in the area? Personally I love the roads joining to the M4 as it gives you some great overtaking opertunities and places to use the full power of either of my cars. My caravan never holds people up, with 295bhp in front of it I regularly out pace people off roundabouts just for fun. Just have to remember it is there sometimes in the twisty stuff. Lifted a rear wheel a few times
    Be Happy

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonman View Post
    as for the approach to J25 that hill is quite steep and lorrys and slow moving traffic going up the hill regurlary make it hard for the faster moving cars to overtake (not that that is what I am saying you were doing)
    I had a clear run in lane one nothing in front of me until the 4 screaming women came by, no slow moving stuff at all so I had absolutely nothing to do with it. Before I jammed the anchors on the car was heading for my drivers door head on which was a little off putting to say the least.

Fella who was behind me stopped and said I had clipped the woman and caused the crash. Then the woman who was behind him said how the heck did he clip a spinning car when he was 2 lanes away. Then fella said well he has a caravan on and they always cause accidents. GIT.
    Be Happy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast