Thread: Any turbo problems?!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Any turbo problems?!

Just another quickie I wanted to ask. Is a turbo really as problematic as I've been told. I've heard they blow up at least once in their life and that they drink fuel like an alcoholic who has been without beer for a week! I would like some experienced turbo owners to let me know if what I have heard is true or not (no holding back)?!

I'm asking because I'm quite a heavy footed driver but I never thrash a car into the red. Please, any comments and advice would be great!!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    they do need changed after 60k i think if they are well used

but they aint any different to your 2.2 with regards to fuel

i used to get between 22-27mpg kicking about town with blasts of the right foot and 37mpg going down to northampton

if your worried about the turbo on a LET stick a VXR one on it as they are better built
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat-Reaper View Post
    I've heard they blow up at least once in their life
    Guess that depends how many miles they do

Standard ones tend to be ok for 40-100k, all depends how well they are looked after.

As for MPG, what are you comparing it to? Its obviously not as economical as a 1.3 diesel Corsa, but a lot better than a Dodge Viper.
    I average around 25MPG, I could get it better than that, but whats the point in having a Turbo if your not going to properly use it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've owned 2 different turbo cars over the last couple of years and tbh havent really had any major problems. Had a Leon cupra b4 the astra and had no probs with that. Had a couple of small things with the astra AFM failed recently and one-way valve broke a few months ago. These were both cheap to fix.

A lot depends on how you treat the car. If the car is warmed up and cooled down properly before putting foot to metal then chances are it will last a lot longer. I drive pretty hard most of the time and so far turbo has no probs with 55k on clock (touch wood).

Get a turbo car mate you won't regret it
    Astra coupe turbo 280bhp-sold
    BMW E60 5 Series M Sport

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    with a turbo you will find you don't need to thrash it to go fast. When i had my 1.6 astra SXI i was always reving it to get it to go fast. With my GSI you don't as it has much more power. I've just had to replace my clutch at 51,000 as it couldn't handle phase 2 power. had no other problems (touch wood)
    Turbos do break but some can still last loads of miles. there was a thread once asking who had done the most miles on the original turbo.
    SMIC, miltek catback, precat, Thorney remap 242.7 bhp 281lb/ft torque

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Same as above /\ /\ /\ i've had the 2.2 and that isn't the best i think they are the same tbh, and the first gear on the 2.2 is useless it's too much of a close ratio, but the 2.2 engine is virtually bullet proof. If you've read the threads you will see the tubby engine has some common problems but that said their are probably more people on here with tubby engines

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok ok, you've convinced me I'm probably thinking of the SRi Turbo though seeing as they're slightly cheaper to get hold of and I don't like the interior of the GSi...I was thinking about a Black one but keeping it is standard as I can except for maybe being on 30mm Eibach springs!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dazerc View Post
    with a turbo you will find you don't need to thrash it to go fast.
    Yeah ya do its just a hell of a lot faster LMAO
    Arden Astra GSI - Phase 3.5

EDS Phase 3.5 288 BHP 340 FT/LB

Inlet cam and Dbilas manifold.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've had 6 turbo's now and i've found thatthe newer ones are better i.e z20 let i have now seems problem free but the 3 c20 lets i've had caused me a few probs.. mainly due to higher miles and being older. my ford rs turbo was problems start to finish. i'd say if your thinking of a sri turbo then go for it. theyre good motors and as long as you service it warm it up cool it down and generally don't kick the living daylights out of it you should be ok. that being said i've known turbo's of 5000 miles old that have never been thrashed to expire just like that... but you'd be unlucky for that to happen. tis a chance you take though. that being said you could buy a 2.2 and 10 miles down the road throw a rod? these things happen, motors are not invincible hence a job for life MECHANIC! lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm on my 3rd turbo (done 20K since I've had it), but they were changed because on 'funny' noises and under warranty, no performance loss. Turbo's can go after a couple of thousand or last 60-70K ......... down to the way you drive it and a little bit of luck really.