Thread: Paint Restoration

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Paint Restoration

Hello all, im going to attempt to try and breathe some life back into my mk4 sxi 1.6 red astra and ive only previously spent a proper day on it once since i got it and i used t-cut and then turtle wax ( im beginning to realise this is a naughty word round here! haha) and it did look pretty decent to be honest, then it rained and all my hard work went down the drain.literally!

so (without forking out LOADS) can anyone recommend a good car wash, wax, sealent and colour restorer? i have some black die too so that i can stain the black plastic trim round the sides (last time i t-cutted it, i left white stains EVERYWHERE on the car, that i still cannot get rid of in certain places, anything black on my car ended up with white stains on it, the grill, the plastic lips inside the doors and the side skirts etc....).

also whats the best place to go for all this stuff? halfords is a bit on the expensive side at the best of times, and theres a couple of independant dealers for bits and bats in my town. so any advice would be wicked. cheers

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    first off, Halfords and local dealers won't sell the good stuff. Dying the black trim is just a coer up, If you heat it with a heat gun (gently mind) it will bring the oils in the plastic to the front and make them look gleaming.

For a good car wash, Id recommend Meguiars NXT Wash (you can get this in hafords), it suds well and cleans easily.
    Polish, AutoGlym Super Resin Polish (again aviable from Halfords)
    Sealant - What's the point if you're waxing, but give Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 a go.
    Wax - Collinite 476s is nice and cheap, but punches well above it's weight and is rated up with some waxes over 3 times the price.
    Colour Restorer -Don't know what you mean by this, but if you paint has oxidisation on it (ie it's faded) then the best way is to have it removed by a detailer with a machine polisher, if you mean trim restorer, then 303 Aerospace protection is the best

EDIT: the stuff that you can't get in Halfords, you can get from www.cleanyourcar.co.uk
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi mate, thanks for the tips. basically the paint is beginning to fade slightly in places again. last time i t-cutted it, i did it by hand and didnt cover the entire car as i was knackered by the time i got round it. the roof hardly got any attention. i was looking to t-cut it properly again next week but using a buffer. then polish and wax.

how much does it usually cost to take the car to a dealer and have the fade removed?

also, what does claying your car mean and do?

thanks!
    ..........52 Plate 1.6 SXI Red Astra..........

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    DO NOT USE T-C*T WITH A MACHINE!!!!!! Infact don't use it again, It's too abrasive and will take too much of the clearcoat off!!!

And I said Detailer, not dealer mate. like a valeter, but one that can take imperfections and swirls out of your paint and make it uber shiny. A full detail can range from £100-£200, then the really good ones like Paul Dalton (Who's had his own wax commisioned!) will charge about £75 per hour + VAT.

If you need to try and find a detailer in your area, PM VXRmarc, as he knows various detailers around the country.

And please, put the T-C*t down.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    haha ok, thanks for the advice mate,i wont bother with the tcut again! 200quid sounds a bit sharp to me to be honest! i just wanna make it look good within budget! haha.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Autoglym Super Resin Polish will shine up faded colours if you spend enough time with it. I'd be tempted to ignore the sealer and just go for a good wax, Collinte 476 lasts very well, you'd be better with two coats of that in my opinion.

Never tried the heat gun approach to external plastic myself, anyone got comments on how long the 'restored' finish lasts? Are there any long term issues with doing this?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you're not willing to pay out for a detailer, the next best thing is Autobalm.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok nice one Gaz and Nry. i wanna get my car gleaming to be honest and remove all oxidisation and then give it a good old clean and polish/wax. i might add a couple of layers of wax too just to give it a bit of extra shine. are any of the solutions availiable a permanent answer to paint fade? i would get it resprayed but it would cost nearly as much as i paid for the car i think! (i bought my mk4 sxi for 1800 and its done around 96k which is quite alot!) but its in MINT condition and i wanna keep it that way

so can anyone give me their top;
    shampoo
    oxidisation remover/improver or whatever you wanna call it
    polish
    wax

all within a resonable budget (i.e. not like 80quid, nearer 30 or 40, im skint i know haha)

cheers!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    My guess is the only 'permanent' solution is to get the paintwork laquered/clearcoted?

No idea on shampoo, I have always used Turtle Wax Nano stuff, polish - Autoglym Super Resin - this should also sort the oxidisation out aswell. Wax - for lastability and good price Collinite 476.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i used autoglym paint restorer but with a machine on an old karmann ghia and it came up perfect. you wont get a really good finish polishing your car by hand as it will probably take you weeks. If you dont want to use a machine then look for a local detailer. Some bodyshops can do it. and like gaztd said put the t-c*t down as in the long term will ruin your paintwork.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast