Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MK5 radio wont turn on...

Hi all,

Recently i have been playing around with installing an after market head unit into my astra which went well. I had wired the head unit up to stay on permanently which worked fine.

Yesturday i tried to wire the ignition/switched wire to the fag lighter so that it would only come on when the car was started and would turn off when i left the vehicle, etc...

However, after trying that it wouldnt work so i reversed back to the old method before where it would stay on all the time but it doesnt even do that now. I then got the standard car radio back out to plug that back in but not even that would turn on or light up...

I went to Vauxhall today and they said there is no main fuse and that it would be either one of 2 sensors so they would have to run a diagnostic on the car.

I really dont fancy paying for their time so im wondering if anyone has any ideas or has had this problem before?

Any help appreciated,
    Cheers.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Welcome to the site mate

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    I went to Vauxhall today and they said there is no main fuse and that it would be either one of 2 sensors so they would have to run a diagnostic on the car.
    Check the fuse box under the bonnet, it's labled up on my diagrams as number 35 which is a 20 amp fuse, there is a row of 3 smaller fuses in one corner and it should be the middle one

As for the headunit turning on and off with the ignition your on the right track with the ciggy lighter but you need to connect to the black wire which is unused and taped further down the wiring if you only have a acessory socket in the car
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank alot, thats fixed it! Im sure you just saved me alot of money. Im not sure what Vauxhall was on about when they said they needed to run diagnostics and that the radio didnt have a main fuse and that it would be sensors that need reprogramming!??

Anyway, cheers mate.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    No problem mate

If vauxhall service are anything like the office reception where I work the people in there don't know what they are talking about
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Lol. I actually still havent got it "all" sorted. I tried to do what you said with the black and grey cable that was attached to the ciggy lighter but nothing happened... Does this cable need a fuse from its source or should one already be there?

Also, not sure if you can help on this one... Ever since i had the car, whenever i drive with either, side light, dipped light, etc on; the trip computer wont work, it just freezes. Also the horn wont work. But when the lights are off everything is back to normal ...

Thanks for the help.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    The black wire at the ciggy lighter should be ignition live and the fuse should be in place. Maybe you have managed to blow that too. Does you car have the large fuse box in the back on the passenger side as well as the one under the bonnet or just the one under the bonnet?

Trip computer and horn not working is a very common problem on the MK5's. There is a module on the steering column that goes faulty called the CIM. Thats going to be a dealer job to fix though