Thread: Can You Spot An Expensive Wax?? AOC & DW Wax Trial

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Can You Spot An Expensive Wax?? AOC & DW Wax Trial

In collaboration with a couple of members from Detailing World, I have organised a test that to my knowledge has never been carried out before involving 6 or 7 metallic black AstraHs identically prepared, and machine finished to as high a quality finish as possible... Each car will then receive a wax or sealent, and allow those attending the meet to judge for themselves whether or not different waxes make much, if any difference - including the expensive Zymol and Swissvax waxes!

Date & Time: Sunday 27th July, mid-morning kick off

As an AOC member, I would like to ask if anyone here would be interested in being a part of this test and seeing first hand the differences between different waxes and sealents on trial. I very much enjoyed being a part of the Christmas meet and thought this may be of interest to some members here

This meet is designed to give you to opportunity to see several different LSPs applied to identical cars which have received identical preparation so you can see for yourself whether or not certain LSPs have any advantage or not. The test itself will work as follows:

6 black metallic Vauxhall Astras will be prepared, and machine finished by myself using Menzerna PO85RD Final Finish, widely acknowledges as one of the best finishing polishes on the market - this will give the finish the best possible opportunity for the wax or sealent to show at its best. After polishing, each car will receive a wipedown with IPA to have a completely clean and polished surface free from any oils that may detract from the wax finish. Each car will then receive a different LSP: layered in two or three layers throughout the course of the day before the meet and left overnight to settle.

On the day of the test, cars will (weather permitting) be outside in natural light for you to judge the finishes, and will hopefully also be placed in doors for comparison in artificial light. The cars will simply be labelled A, B, C.. etc. So the test will be blind. Please come to this meet ready to take part! Whether you see yourself as a seasoned professional or keen enthusiast or just a beginner, your vote and opinions are very important to getting the best out of this test: I want to know what you think, I want to know what you see!

Effects of water: beading and sheeting will be tested if I can secure outside water source.

On the day, I will ask people to rank the cars in order of their favourite finish. I will also hand out a form to allow you to rate each finish as you see it, and to describe for me in a few short words what you see in the finish... If anything, these descriptions are the most important part as I will be looking for consistencies in these. There are no right and wrong answers, I dont know what the answers are! I am really keen to see exactly what you think of each finish so we can draw conclusions from the results of as many people as possible. This can include how a finish feels as well!

At the end of the day, I will reveal which car was wearing what and which finish was the preferred ones, rating them as follows: Out of the 5 cars, please rate the car in order of preference. 1st choice gets 5 points, 2nd choice 4 points and so on down to last choice which gets 1 point. If the results are random, then all finishes will come close. If there is a true preferred car, then it will clearly show. Over the following few days I will analyse the descriptions of the finishes looking for consistencies in the results to see if any conclusions can be drawn. Raw data (annonymous) will be posted up also for all those to see and draw their own conclusions as well

The waxes and sealents to go on trial will remain unknown until after the test is complete - however, they will be along the lines of (to give you an idea...)

1) Zymol Royale (the daddy of all waxes - money wise at least, but how does it look?)
    2) DodoJuice Supernatural (~£100 wax - worth the money?)
    3) Victoria Concours Wax (Reasonable money - looks as good as the others?)
    4) Collinite 476S (Highly durable - but what about the looks?)
    5) Zaino Z2 (Is a sealent the way to go?)
    6) BiltHamber Autobalm (Durable, and protects bare metal from rusting in a salt spray!)
    7) Control car - nothing but polishing

This is not hard and fast but as a general idea, we have big name expensive players, one mid-range player that wants to knock the bigger names for six, the big name sealent, a wild-card in AIO, and a value wax.

Also on the day, there will be an opportunity to see some demonstrations of detailing techniques put on by myself and a chance to chat with other detailers, and any members of AOC who would like to come along. For those that remember my demos at the xmas bash at 888, it will be along these lines hopefully. It promises to be a great day out, and a chance to see some detailing first hand and be a part of a big test.

In order to cover the logistical and practical costs of carrying out the test, I am asking for a donation to event from those wishing to attend: this will be no more than £10, which I reckon is pretty good value considering what the test involves. There will also be a meet here as well, so it should prove well worth the tenner I hope.

Please can you indicate your interest in the event by signing up below. Please only sign up if you are likely to be able to attend so we can get an estimate for numbers. This is a great opportunity to see waxes in real life for yourself, and to be a part of one of the biggest tests every conducted in the world of detailing! Be a part of it!!

(If you sign up, I will contact you by PM soon re: donation to the event, which like I say will be less than a tenner to allow some of the costs to be covered... any extra raised will find its way to the RNLI. )

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do they want a dark blue mk4 to polish aswell?
    Mk4 3 door sxi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i would of love to have come but im busy
    astra coupe bertone on 18" pro race 1.2s now on coilovers

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1) DaveDesign
    08 5Dr Design, De-badged, VXR Style pack, Window Tints

55 1.7cdti Astra Van

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1) DaveDesign
    2) Dave KG

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Dam it Dave can't you pick a different day. I'm getting married that day I don't think I can get away .

Have a good day Dave and I'd be very interested to see the results for sure. So plenty of pics please. Have a great day and I hope it all goes well and weather holds out for both of us.

Regards
    jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wholeheartedly endorse this event, cracking idea to see if the money that finishes cost actually make a difference.

Anyone who has not seen a detailing demo, you really really have to see it !

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im looking forward to the result as I dont believe Zymol is anything special, never used the stuf never intend to spend any more than £50 or so on a wax!

...apart from supernatural
    Arden Blue Astra Vxr

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jam View Post
    Dam it Dave can't you pick a different day. I'm getting married that day I don't think I can get away .

Have a good day Dave and I'd be very interested to see the results for sure. So plenty of pics please. Have a great day and I hope it all goes well and weather holds out for both of us.

Regards
    jam

Sorry you wont be able to make it, mate - but there will be plenty of pics and I'll post all the results and findings up too

Quote Originally Posted by Coo View Post
    I wholeheartedly endorse this event, cracking idea to see if the money that finishes cost actually make a difference.

Anyone who has not seen a detailing demo, you really really have to see it !

Cheers mate - the detailing demo may well be on my own car as well, neighbour's cat's been using it as a climbing frame

Quote Originally Posted by Georgy View Post
    Im looking forward to the result as I dont believe Zymol is anything special, never used the stuf never intend to spend any more than £50 or so on a wax!

...apart from supernatural
    There will also be a control car with no wax at all... wonder if that will come out on top!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dammit!!!!

Got the Devon Performance & Modified Show that day!!!

Can't wait to see the pics though.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast