Thread: Why?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why?

Always wanted to know why Vauxhall's 2.0 Turbo's can now produce around the 234bhp mark from the factory yet the like of other manufacturers have been getting 276bhp from their 2.0T engines for quite a few years. Also noticed that the Vaux lump is easily tunable to around the 270's but then to go higher involves a lot more of an investment.

So the real question is, are the 270bhp cars road driver friendly, are they easy to tune for an extra 40bhp like the Vaux lumps or are they 'peaky' and if they are ok, why can Vaux only produce 234bhp?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vx might want to keep the power lower, so that they are cheaper to insure, what manufactures are getting 270s?
    Mk4 3 door sxi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    WHY do people only put one word titles for threads....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My VXR is really driveable (more so than standard) and is remapped up to somewhere in the region of 265BHP and that's just from a cat back and a remap.

To get that sort of figure (270BHP) on a ZLET is still not going to be cheap. You'll need a full turbo back exhaust, larger intercooler, new turbo (VXR one is plenty for 270BHP) and then get it mapped up to suit - £2000+ all in I reckon.
    2006 Astra VXR on 19's in Arden Blue
    ExhaustsUK Catback, Eibach Sportlines, DS Ultima, Roose hose kit, Forge recirculating dump valve, Full self modded SMD conversion

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post

To get that sort of figure (270BHP) on a ZLET is still not going to be cheap. You'll need a full turbo back exhaust, larger intercooler, new turbo (VXR one is plenty for 270BHP) and then get it mapped up to suit - £2000+ all in I reckon.
    Pretty much looking at just over £2K for that, think mine came to about £2.2K

As said before manufacturers, do it for Insurance and safe parameters of what the engine can take for reliability
    Astra Sri Turbo

CS4 276BHP/325lbft

LMF Vauxhall - 01858 433599

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was talking about the likes of the Subaru's, Evo's etc. Pretty certain they were 270ish from 2.0T's about 10 years ago. (Yes I know the current Subaru's are 2.5T now for about the same power)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willbaroo View Post
    WHY do people only put one word titles for threads....

Because I knew bigger words would confuse you

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CurvyClaire View Post
    I was talking about the likes of the Subaru's, Evo's etc. Pretty certain they were 270ish from 2.0T's about 10 years ago. (Yes I know the current Subaru's are 2.5T now for about the same power)
    Your comparing the ZLET (coupe/gsi/sri-t engine) to the impreza flat four, and the evo unit ???

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 4G63 engine found in the Mitsubishi Evo VIII has a standard bhp of 260. For £1700 it will be 350bhp.

All it needs is an exhaust from the manifold back, new plugs, remap and an induction kit or some sort.

It doesn't need a new AFM, it doesnt need a new intercooler, or a new turbo or a new manifold.

The engine was designed from scratch to be turbo charged, it was designed to be a high power engine. If you want it to be 400bhp then you need to uprate a few internals, HOWEVER if you buy the "MR" edition or an Evo IX or X then you can hit 400bhp if you spend £1700.

I'm pretty sure the Z20 LEH dates back to the C20 LET with a few changes here and there, same block at the end of the day, this was in the days of "200bhp wow man thats loads".

VAG developed a brand new engine (1.8 20vT) in 1996? and now that has been superceded by the new 2.0 FSI-T. The 1.8 engine lasted about 11yrs, Vauxhall's is still basically on the go.

Ford are using the Volvo engine in their ST and it can be tuned quickly and easily to 300bhp as that is what some of the Volvo's run at IIRC... hence the incoming 300bhp RS.

Honda can hit 240bhp without a turbo!

Subaru have produced 2.0T's that are capable of 315bhp (WR1) and the 2.5 engine which has hit 320bhp (RB320).

Vauxhall IMO need not bother with more than 240bhp if they aren't going to sort out the traction issues, handling issues and torque steer issues... oh yea and put some PROPER BRAKES on the damn things!!!!
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordNikon View Post
    Your comparing the ZLET (coupe/gsi/sri-t engine) to the impreza flat four, and the evo unit ???

No. I'm asking why.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast