Thread: Handbrake light coming on

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Handbrake light coming on

I took the Zaf into Vauxhaal for a brake fluid change when I'd had it about 6 weeks as I thought I better as you never know when it was last done?

Then less than a week later I was coming home down the M6 and the brakes started to get gradually worse with each press of the pedal up until you had to put the pedal to the floor to get them to work slightly - scared sh!t out of me!!

I took it them back demanding an answer as there wasn't a issue with it before hand - they took it in and once back they said the rear caliper was sticking on causing the fluid to not come back into the reservoir - is that a lot of bull as it sounds it to me?? Surely there's enough fluid to run all the brakes when they're all on lol and if it's stuck on then it just like when I'm braking there should stil lsurely be enough to make all the other calipers work??

Anyway he said he'd cleaned the caliper etc and it was now fine, I said what do I owe you and they said "ahh don't worry about it" now that's not like them is it!! I was a bit sceptical from then on as they charge for everything normally..

It worked for about 2 - 3 weeks but now the light's coming on again surely the fluid shouldn't all of a sudden become low again - do you think they've knackered a bleed nipple or spomething??

I think I may top it up and see how it goes, if it does become a problem again then what could it be?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is there a sign of a leak on any of the calipers?? Is the brake fluid level dropping at all??
    Black MK4 1.6 SXI, Just had a polish!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    top up the brake Fluid an keep a eye on it
    also take it back to them an ask them why its doing it now

also have a good clean around the brake lines an look for a leak,
    alloy wheel cleaner an a jet wash will clean them up fine

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer6000 View Post
    Is there a sign of a leak on any of the calipers?? Is the brake fluid level dropping at all??
    I honestly haven't looked but I'm putting some yellowstuff pads and ebay grooved discs on when they come so I think I'll wait until they've sorted this out before fitting them or they'll probably blame those!!

It must be dropping as the light didn't come on until they changed the fluid, bleed the brakes and topped the fluid up...

Quote Originally Posted by dannysport18 View Post
    top up the brake Fluid an keep a eye on it
    also take it back to them an ask them why its doing it now

also have a good clean around the brake lines an look for a leak,
    alloy wheel cleaner an a jet wash will clean them up fine

Yeah will do mate and like you say why after the 2 months of me having it (done 4K miles in that time) does it only play up once they've tatted?? I noticed you had this problem with the light didn't you, was it just fluid with yours??

I have some autoglym clean wheels and a jet wash so I'll give it all a damn good clean so I (and they) can see anything suspicous...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I have not had this prob on the zaffy

first up get a small marker Pen clean the brake fluid reservoir fill up just under the MAX mark pump the brakes an go for a short drive 20 foot stop an put a mark on the brake fluid reservoir,

get Jet wash out an alloy cleaner an clean all brakes an lines you can see
    keep a eye on the brake fluid reservoir for the next few weeks jobs a good one