AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bio diesel

Hi again,

sorry if this has been covered before!

Can a Y20DTH run on biodiesel? i keep reading that pre-04 diesel engines can use pure biodiesel, mine is an 04 plate, but i know the engine was at least 5 years old prior to my car. i'm assuming that common rail setups can't take it.

anyhooos, if anyone knows please drop me a reply.

thanks,

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah from what ive heard the CDTI's dont like alot of bio/vegie oil due to the high pressures but i think the DTi's will be ok on it.

Id be interested to find out about the DTI's as im thinking of running my 1.7 on a % of bio/vegie oil. Would it be ok to go into tescos or any of the supermarkets and buy one of those veg oil drums (20lt i think they are) and mix that with diesel straight to the tank? Obviously you will have to pay tax on it

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that's the thing, i'm reading lots of mixed messages online at the moment, but i really want to try it. i picked up 2l of veggie oil for 99p the other day, and buying the 20l you mentioned is even cheaper!

anyone help us?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you want to screw up your injectors and fuel pumps carry on guys... Standard cooking oil is too thick for the injectors and pump to cope with. It is fine to use in an old diesel engine with no injectors just carbs but would not recommend it at all in new generation diesels (e.g. DTi and CDTi's)
    All diesel now has a certain amount of bio mixed in anyway straight out of the pump.
    No longer a Astra Owner
    Now Drives -2006 Skoda Octavia vRs in Race Blue

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webmonkeyuk View Post
    Obviously you will have to pay tax on it
    No, IIRC the first 2500L you use are tax free (well not quite as you have paid VAT on it anyway ). Only have to declare it if you use more than 2500l in a year.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi. Check out this site. it may answer a few of your questions.
    www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk They wrote this:-

Biodiesel, in theory, can go into all diesel engines as the diesel engine itself was designed to run on plant oil. However it is the parts attached to the diesel engine which could potentially cause problems – although the vast majority of diesels on the road are fine running on 100% biodiesel. In reality, the rule of thumb is you can use 100% biodiesel in any diesel built between 1990-2004, but be aware that a one-off fuel filter change will be needed after you first make the transition (and any mix of biodiesel and fossil diesel is OK too). I would recommend that cars built after 2004 should run on a 50% blend not 100%. Be aware too that biodiesel made from waste cooking oil will freeze in winter and so from November to April one should blend that kind of Biodiesel at 50% as well. However, Biodiesel made from a Rapeseed crop (RME) will not freeze and can be used at 100% all year round in the UK. Please note that it is advisable to purchase biodiesel with EN14214 specification, that gives you some guarantee of quality. In short – to be safe, use RME Biodiesel at EN14214 in a car built between 1990 and 2004 and then you can be carbon neutral all year without problems!
    In terms of official compatibility, despite the majority of diesel vehicles on the road being fine on 100%, only a handful of companies will officially approve their vehicles for 100% use. The companies that have approved 100% biodiesel are VW, Audi, SEAT and Skoda. They have approved all their cars built between 1996 and 2004 on 100% use of ”RME” Biodiesel (Biodiesel made from Rapeseed) providing it meets the specification DIN41606 (which was later replaced by EN14214). These companies can still provide some brand new cars warranted on 100% biodiesel but one has to request it (best to get the official letter from German Base as some UK agents aren’t fully aware). As these companies have officially approved 100% biodiesel I urge you to use your consumer power to support them in supporting the environmental movement.

Leedy

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Biodiesel is very different to throwing cooking oil into the tank.

That said, I ran my 2.0DTi on just about all forms of biodiesel for nearly 2 years, never had a problem. I never used "SVO" (Straight Veg Oil).
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So CDTI's cannot run bio fuel then?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Up to 5% bio is fine with your warranty on the CDTi. The very high pressures on the injectors causes varnishing and all other ickky problems.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is an interesting read. Obviously I would love to run my diesel on BioFuel, but im worried because of all the horror stories of your expensive parts going completely wrong and costing more than the car to fix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast