Thread: Found this interesting . . .

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Found this interesting . . .

Using this VIN checker http://www.autobaza.pl/ab/en/web/productaa0100 I found that my Holden Astra Convertible was, in fact, "assembled" in the UK! Guess it makes sense as it is right hand drive . . . but interesting all the same. Guess that explains why the build quality of my wife's G 5 door (Antwerp, Belgium made and assembled) is of a far superior quality to my G convertible.
    Not meaning to have a dig at you guys, but let's face it, the UK auto industry doesn't have what one would call a good reputation for build quality.
    Old enough to know better . . . Too old to care!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Gu'day Schkippy. Yeah, I suppose your right. For starters, Ford motors, or specifically if you so desire, Ford Transits, built in Southampton (UK) have been going for over 40 years. They must have a terrible build quality them...

There cant be that much difference in build quality between your 2 cars, or surely you would have questioned it before, as oppose to sort of stumbling upon the fact it was built here-among our dark satanic mills, on this green and pleasent land.

And if it is that bad, you could always sell it....
    "Take the time to make some sense, of what you want to say, and cast your words away upon the waves."

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey! Don't get me wrong . . . I love my convertible! The biggest thing is the panel and trim fit/alignment between the two cars. Both cars Star Silver, both look great (when clean), it's just the the 5 door hatch is a far superior fit all round.
    I just found it odd that a car that I had always presumed was built in Germany/Belgium was, in fact, assembled in UK. There has been some discussion both on here and in Oz about where the Bertones (Coupes and Convertibles) were actually built, and this pretty well settles the argument. Some say Opel Belgium, others say Bertone Italy . . . now my VIN check says Belgium/UK.
    No different to BMWs being assembled in South Africa, VWs in Mexico, etc.

Any chance for a dig at the Poms!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dont get me wrong mate, I wasnt having a dig. I was merely airing my views....Threw in the "Jerusalem" lyrics for a laugh. At least you know where your car was assembled anyway...
    "Take the time to make some sense, of what you want to say, and cast your words away upon the waves."

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Bertone Italy is the place they are made
    well the body is an way

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannysport18 View Post
    Bertone Italy is the place they are made

From my digging around, I think you will find the body (and the Coupe/Convertible concept for the Astra G) was designed by Bertone in Italy (most certainly the folding roof) . . . everything else (body panels, mechanicals, assembly, etc.) is done by Opel, other than this latest discovery which suggests that the Convertibles were "made" by Opel and "assembled" in the UK. Quite possibly delivered as a rolling chassis and receiving the necessary right hand drive mods in the UK to suit all rhd markets.

Holden, at Elizabeth, for a short time "made" the Vectra B. But I think you will find, they were, in fact, only "assembled" from a rolling chassis or kit, supplied from either the UK (could have been Europe, haven't pursued that one!).
    Still amazing the number of people that still think Holden "make" the Astra, even though it is fully imported from Belgium as a completed car. All Holden do is add the compliance plate and the Holden badges to the alloy wheels (all the other badges are in place).

I'd love to hear from any Coupe owner in the UK who runs their VIN through this checker to see where their car was "assembled." Better still . . . anyone on here work, or know anyone that works/or worked at the Ellesemer Port site? What is it, a Vauxhall assembly plant?

C'mon guys, more information from your side of the planet. This has got me curious.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The coupes are made in Germany not the UK

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine was built in Germany according to that

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mines was built in Germany and so was my Mrs Corsa C according to that too.
    ^Click above if yae are^
    >< Proud To Be Scottish ><