Thread: ICE Headunit/iPod Advice

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ICE Headunit/iPod Advice

I recently just got my car back from the garage where they diconnected the battery so now i'm having to input my code for my Siemens CDR500 in my Astra Coupe. The code in my manual is wrong and the garage tried it 3x and i tried it 1x, i was planning on getting a new Head unit very soon anyway.

I currently have a new centre console i've sprayed as well as gear/handbrake gaiters etc so i'm wanting to do it all in one go.

I'm looking for a headunit which can control iPods, and have steering wheel controls with the adapter. I've found this item on caraudiodirect.co.uk and its the Alpine CDE-9872RM which is £94.99 which can control ipods with the additonal wire (which i will run round to the drivers cubby hole) and it can use steering wheel controls with the adapter.

My question is also which Steering adapter do I need, if my astra is a 1.8 Bertone 54 Plate which adapter will I need, the InCar one says from 98-04 and the Connects 2 one says 04+ so i'm confused which I need, i'm guessing the InCar one?

What do you think of my HU choice?

Headunit:http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpi...rm-p-6371.html
    Alpine iPod cable: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpi...le-p-5637.html
    InCar Steering: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/2960...or-p-3482.html

Cheers,
    Adam
    • AdZ9
    • 1.8i 16v Astra Coupe 2004

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Your car is one of the later MK4's so you need the one from 98-04. The one for 04+ will be a MK5

Don't forget that aswell as the steering wheel control you will also need the apline part of the adaptor http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/inca...or-p-3481.html
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kenw...1u-p-6499.html would be my choice, it appears to support the iPod without additional wires according to the bumf, though my slightly older model has a dedicated iPod connecting lead...

Better spec if you ask me and only £5 more. Steering wheel leads etc are a similar price to the Alpine - either way I'd speak to them directly to make sure you get the correct leads just to make sure.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well in all honesty i'm being pretty anal about the lit up colour, the outside of my car is the chianti red (check ava) and my new centre console is sprayed Vauxhall Moonland grey, so i wanted something with a red backlight but orange is the only one i can find in my price range, so i can't have blue or anything :/ is that sad?
    • AdZ9

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Oh, and I'm going the other way - my head unit is lit blue, my interior lights are all orange. So I'm changing the interior lights to blue

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I have £130 in my betfair account so this will all be ordered today! Coming to just short of £150.

Is it easy to fit the ipod cable round so that it comes out on the drivers cubby hole so i can put my ipod in there?
    • AdZ9

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Shouldn't be too hard. I've just ran a subwoofer RCA cable from the back of my headunit to the boot and it passes over the pedals and behind the "cubby hole" which is where I keep my sat nav. So providing your cable is long enough, you should just need to run it and possibly drill a hole into the cubby hole or something.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I ran the USB lead into the in-dash storage above the ashtray - I'm still unsure if the HU above has the iPod connector lead (assuming you went with the Kenwood, if you need the iPod lead let me know, I'll not ever use mine and it came with my HU - away next week, if I don't reply then don't worry, I will!) but the lead in question is pretty long and I reckon it will easily reach where you mention.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nry i looked at the kenwood one and they have the status set at "Backlot" and are unsure when they will get more in stock :/ so i've just gone with the original Alpine one as they are pretty much the same.

I like the idea for running the ipod cable to the storage area maybe, if i put my CD player in the bottom din slot and the cubby in the top (its the other way round currently) then i could plug an ipod in and sit it in the cubby bit, or get a cradle for it just to sit in so i can control from the ipod as well as the cd player if needs be!

Although for security reasons i may just run it to the drivers glove box bit so that the ipod can sit out of sight nicely and no-one will know/see the ipod wire as it will run down the back.
    • AdZ9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast