Thread: NA v Turbo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

NA v Turbo

Would anyone recommend the Dbilas turbo conversions that are around!

I have a 1.6... obviously not a great start! However their website says that it should increase the power to 210bhp. I personally find this hard to beleive as it only has 103bhp from the factory!

Anyone out there that has had a Dbilas turbo conversion. If so, did you get anywhere near the power they said you would?

Anyway i would be quite happy with 30 less than they say , but just want to know if Dbilas can be trusted or if i am going to have to spend even more time than i do now in the garage, getting the car mended!

Thanks in advance... apart from those who say not to bother because it is a 1.6!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Aren't their turbo conversions about 4 grand?! Would it not be cheaper to put a z20let in it? Then you would have a reliable 200bhp to work from

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'd guess it may well be accurate enough - the intake manifolds can add 15-20, sort the rest of the stuff out (the kit is pretty comprehensive) and I reckon 150bhp NA is achievable enough - can't see why a turbo wouldn't take it towards 200+

Vauxhall have just released their own 1.6 Turbo which I think manages ~175bhp? Would love to drop one of those in mine but it'll never happen whilst I am in this job!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    [quote=nry;1405428]Would love to drop one of those in mine but it'll never happen whilst I am in this job![/quote]

Maybe if you stopped posting on here and got another job you could afford to drop one in!

The only reason why i dont want a z20let is it wouldnt be economically viable as i would have to replace:
    1. engine
    2. exhaust
    3. ECU system/s
    4. Runing gear
    5. Throttle assembly
    And i would have to pay to get it done because me and the old man doesnt have the tools to do it!

Plus i prefer to get as much power from a small engine as i can rather than just fit a bigger one... thats the English way!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Pah, if I could find a local job of the same ilk which didn't require 25,000 miles per annum I'd be laughing

But I'm inclined to agree, I have a thing about making the most of what you have providing the base is solid - and I reckon the 1600 16v lump you have is a solid enough base - it has enough restrictions to remove to make it an interesting project!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    I have a thing about making the most of what you have providing the base is solid - and I reckon the 1600 16v lump you have is a solid enough base - it has enough restrictions to remove to make it an interesting project!
    It has only done 48,000 miles and has recently had cambelt etc changed, plus it is making use of the extra 4bhp the Twinport option gives. So i figure sooner rather later is a good phylosophy.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    why not stick with n/a and get some throttle bodies and fast road cams? much cheaper and fair bit of power, also making the most of an n/a engine!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan22 View Post
    why not stick with n/a and get some throttle bodies and fast road cams? much cheaper and fair bit of power, also making the most of an n/a engine!
    Your plan has one fatal issue... TB's will not be compatible with the Z series engines as they are fly-by-wire not cable, and as such are will be hard to fit!

Will probably try and get a fast road cam to match the turbo anyway!

Likin' the thinking though!

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    you can buy a coupe/hatch turbo for under 4k now, i looked at one for another member last week to which they bought it for £3300 a few little bits and bobs needed sorting but nothing major.

I couldnt see the point in spending 4k on a turbo conversion when you can buy a full car with a 200bhp standard trubo engine for the same money.

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SXT View Post
    Your plan has one fatal issue... TB's will not be compatible with the Z series engines as they are fly-by-wire not cable, and as such are will be hard to fit!

Will probably try and get a fast road cam to match the turbo anyway!

Likin' the thinking though!

and im pretty sure with a new pedel box and throttle cable, is really isn't to hard to make it so that it has a cable. and im sure a remap and sort out thr fueling for the TB's so therefore TB's are compatible with the Z series.
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegman View Post
    You know me so well and not even dinner, a movie and some flowers Tony. What sort of man do you think I am!!!!!