Thread: Car died on way home from PVS

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Car died on way home from PVS

Not too happy this morning. Tried to leave PVS at about 3.30pm yesterday after watching the drag car. Eventually got out of Pod around 5.00pm due to hectic jams and bad organisation from the pathetic marshalls!

Around 5mins after getting on the A45 car started to sound like a helicopter and lost a lot of power, limped off at the next slip road and when stationary the car's idle was bad and tried to cut out the engine was jumping quite badly. Turned it off and called the AA!

Apparently AA were having a hectic day and had no response vehicles in the area at all so contracted out another recovery van. After 2 mins of investigation he said the car would not be going anywhere. A few calls back to AA and still no trucks around. Contract firm had to remove the car for storage and take me to the depot to be given a courtesy car. They promised to bring the car back to me within 48 hours.
    - 2004 Vauxhall Zafira GSi - Silver, work in progress..
    - 2003 BMW 325ti M Sport - Silver, 18" CSL wheels in matt anthracite, Eibachs, Full red leather

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    doesnt sound good

any ideas what it was?

on the up side sounds like the AA were good though!
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone any guess ideas what could be the problem? I didn't take the car up the strip and was doing a steady 60mph when it went wrong. Mechanic said he didn't think it was a major internal problem as the idling difficulties were intermitent (sp) and not constant but said he could hear an occasional knocking noise. His guess was the timing was out, maybe a broken tooth on the cambelt but without opening it all up was hard to diagnose. The engine management light came on for a couple of seconds then started flashing.

Doesn't sound good, especially considering I am major skint at the moment!
    - 2003 BMW 325ti M Sport - Silver, 18" CSL wheels in matt anthracite, Eibachs, Full red leather

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    doesnt sound good

any ideas what it was?

on the up side sounds like the AA were good though!
    No the AA were not good. I forgot to add the timing to my write up. Shows how tired I am at the moment, especially after an early start Sunday morning!

Called the AA at around 6.30pm, and they said they had no patrols in the area. They called me back in an hour to say they would send a contracted company to me which will aim to be with me in 90 minutes. They arrived at 9.00pm. Eventually my car left the slip road on the back of a flatbed at around 10.20pm to be taken into storage. I was back at the depot in Wellingborough at around 10.45pm to be given a company car. After paper work and drive home etc.. finally got home around 01.45am. And up for work this morning at 06.30am!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like the afm or you've blown a hose off (Or split one)

I had the same thing a few weeks ago. Pulled over onto the hard shoulder, rough idle, no power. I'd popped the hose of the bottom of the turbo.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's just been delivered back to my house. I will have a good look at all the hoses when I get back from work, if that's what it turns out to be that would be great as I'm really worried it could be costly. I'll see if I can borrow a AFM to see if that's the problem too. But what about the small knock that we could hear every now and again?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when i had my boost pipe come off the car died and wouldn't start so it could be just a spilt hose.
    SMIC, miltek catback, precat, Thorney remap 242.7 bhp 281lb/ft torque

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The car will start and then idle fine for around 5 seconds, then idle really roughly and the engine is jumping around quite bad. Occasional knock can be heard from inside.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear about the problems. Hope you get to the bottom of it quickly. If I wasn't working, I'd pop around so you could try my AFM.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Unhappy

sorry to hear your tales of woe Patrick. i'll send you Adams moby no via PM, perhaps u can swap AFM's to see if its shot or not.

hope you get it sorted fella. if u need a good mechanic that is very resonable i know a guy that can help.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast