Thread: I feel like I'm wasting my time and money :(

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I feel like I'm wasting my time and money :(

A few months back I spent £85 at Halfords on Meguiars/AutoGlym car stuff.

I've tried my best to keep up with the car cleaning and I've managed to wash it on average once a month (trust me, that's good for me lol).

I've washed my car using the two bucket method dried it. Now I've gone over the roof and bonnet with the 3 stage (paint cleaner/polish/wax) megs stuff and tbh, it doesn't look any shinier than with just a wash Even in this heat and sunshine, the car isn't sparkling in a show room shine like I expected and hoped for.

Is it OK to apply the polish/wax in this heat? The car body is almost too hot to touch and within 20 seconds of applying, the polish is dried to a crust

Should I wait till its cooler/shadier?

I'm even tempted to sell off all this megs stuff and get some poorboy's stuff instead.

I hope matt1206 doesn't mind me using his post as a reference, but the results are superb:

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...90&postcount=7

Arden Blue Astra VXR

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If you've wax'd/sealed already then washed and dried the car, you'll probably not see much change if you wax/seal again unless it is ages since you last did it. Kinda the point of it all I guess, a lot of work first, then little work for a long time.

Plus it is all better done when the car bodywork is cool - washing, waxing, sealing etc on a hot car on a sunny day is going to cause problems or not give the best results. Best off washing in the am before full sun and then waxing etc in the late afternoon/early evening when the sun has dropped.

You should be glad that washing then drying the car is as good as a new coat of wax, means you did a good job first time round

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    If you've wax'd/sealed already then washed and dried the car, you'll probably not see much change if you wax/seal again unless it is ages since you last did it. Kinda the point of it all I guess, a lot of work first, then little work for a long time.

Plus it is all better done when the car bodywork is cool - washing, waxing, sealing etc on a hot car on a sunny day is going to cause problems or not give the best results. Best off washing in the am before full sun and then waxing etc in the late afternoon/early evening when the sun has dropped.

You should be glad that washing then drying the car is as good as a new coat of wax, means you did a good job first time round

Yeah the only thing I haven't done is seal it, as I haven't got any yet. I guess I'll do that next time. Yeah I washed/dried it last night, and polished and waxed it this morning around 10AM. But the temperature was already 19*C by then (my out door thermometer, which is only 15 feet from the car and both are in direct sunlight, read 26*C !!).
    Arden Blue Astra VXR

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    TBH I didn't find the stage 1,2,3 much cop. I use carlack 68 (paint cleaner and protector) and tried some dodo juice at the weekend and it really was a difference.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as i said on msn mate - ditch the megs and use AG

Im only using Megs for the car wash stage, followed by cheap tesco car wash for the sonus clay, then SRP followed by Collonite 915

I just started using SRP a few weeks back and this stuff is amazing - is readily available too and has a nice smell which is a bonus.

I just found the megs 123 useless and as u say just dred to a crust in no time.

Im no detailer tho so cant offer any words of wisdom - just my own experience

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    as i said on msn mate - ditch the megs and use AG

Im only using Megs for the car wash stage, followed by cheap tesco car wash for the sonus clay, then SRP followed by Collonite 915

I just started using SRP a few weeks back and this stuff is amazing - is readily available too and has a nice smell which is a bonus.

I just found the megs 123 useless and as u say just dred to a crust in no time.

Im no detailer tho so cant offer any words of wisdom - just my own experience
    Thanks lads! help is really appreciated!

I'll stop ranting
    Arden Blue Astra VXR

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The AutoGlym EGP gives a lovely gloss finish but this is a sealant and not a wax. I'm tempted by some Pete's 53 next month but going to buy a proper drying cloth first.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Your supposed to apply most waxes in cool and shaded areas.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would wait for a cool, dry day or evening. And take your time. You are only one "nice result" away, from getting the bug back. Then you could get on a car cleaning website, and search for items that take your fancy...

Also ask in here for opinions on products before you buy, and youll be away again. Only this time with better products, and a bit more experience.....
    "Take the time to make some sense, of what you want to say, and cast your words away upon the waves."

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The summer is a great time to detail the car not because its sunny..lol.

But the late nights i tend to "try" and wash, clay(when needed), de-tar rinse and dry late in the day around 6-6.30 when its a tad cooler and contine waxing or sealing doing the trim and other bits way into 10pm its loads cooler too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast