Thread: HELP!!! What exhaust??

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HELP!!! What exhaust??

I am after an exhaust that gives a subtle yet sporty sound at high revs. Can anyone help? I stainless steel exhaust has been mentioned?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Very happy with my Cybox catback from eBay with a stainless centre section with silencer. Barely audible at idle (once the system has carboned up after 2-3 weeks of driving) and a nice burble when you 'give it some' so to speak! You can get backbox only too. I didn't want major noise from my system and I didn't get it - just a nice sound that turns the occasional head (except my neighbour who today asked me if my exhaust was blowing...hmm..back in your Mondeo please )

Cybox and GT3 get excellent comments on this forum and are custom fit (i.e. designed for the Astra). Good value for money if you aren't rich

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Great. Thanks for the info, it helps me alot.

How much should I be looking to pay? Just so I don't get 'slapped' with the cost?

So by getting the back section only it will have the desired effect? I presumed I'd need a whole new exhaust system??!!

Thanks again!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I paid 250 for mine... custom built and fitted

I dont have a cybox though, i have a powerflow system without a midsection

Looks similar to nry's as well

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neillfc83 View Post
    Great. Thanks for the info, it helps me alot.

How much should I be looking to pay? Just so I don't get 'slapped' with the cost?

So by getting the back section only it will have the desired effect? I presumed I'd need a whole new exhaust system??!!

Thanks again!!
    A couple of formulas for you to lul over:

1. Back Box = Tone sound (Low pitch High Pitch) and reduces some noise
    2. Midsection/silencer = Level of noise (does not affect noise tone too much)

If you want something a bit different in sound but you are happy with the noise level, it wouldnt be worth replacing the whole mid-back section... just get a Back Box

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ta! I'm new to all this so any info is very useful!!

Will fuel consumption be affected at all if I was to get back box for instance?

Just looking on eBay and places like that, would a 'stainless steel' back box be the way to go (sporty noise at high revs, but not too loud etc)?

Also would anybody recommend any specific makes/manufacturers (that are also affordable)?

Apologies if my question has already been answered elsewhere.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My back box isnt specific to an Astra (ie its universal) but it has been custom made to fit my car by a garage i know and trust! It also has given me a mysterious 30 miles extra over a half a tank of fuel... 60 miles a tank. I am well chuffed! (Dont ask me why though!)

I know NRY has a cybox system, so it might be worth checking out what their back boxes are. (they are on ebay) (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/cybox-exhausts)

Also you could try Remus, the people who make the irmscher exhausts... but i would have thought they would be dearer than cybox.

Also there are GT3 exhausts (again on eBay) which tend to be fairly cheap. However if you want stainless they may not do them as they seem to sell mostly aluminised steel. (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GT3-EXHAUSTS)

!Click Me for a reasonable buy! (Link Doesnt last long - 4 hours)

Ask any more questions needed mate... not worth rushing and getting it wrong.
    Also give us a few pics of the boxes you are thinking of and i am sure you will get some replies! (I did when i put it to the poll!)

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    With the vectra pipe/intake mods plus my catback Cybox & panel filter I am actually getting improved fuel economy, I'd estimate (pretty accurately!) I get 30 miles more per tank (this is LPG, perhaps more for petrol!) than I was with everything OEM! It'll all pay for itself within 6 months for me

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    With the vectra pipe/intake mods plus my catback Cybox & panel filter I am actually getting improved fuel economy, I'd estimate (pretty accurately!) I get 30 miles more per tank (this is LPG, perhaps more for petrol!) than I was with everything OEM! It'll all pay for itself within 6 months for me
    Mine doesnt even have any intake mods and i am getting good fuel economy as well! Sounds good too! low down rumble followed by high revving race car sound when the twinport kicks in!

Speeding ticket here we come!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'm just disappointed I have to be in the car when I drive, can't really hear that much at all from my exhaust - which is kinda what I wanted I guess!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast