Thread: What to do?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What to do?

I recently started my new job,absolutely loving it however, i have to commute 75 miles a day doing mway mileage (not bad in itself) which is costing me a small fortune in fuel as the 2001 1.6sxi i drive seems pretty horrendous on fuel economy.

Is it still economically cheaper to run a diesel? In an ideal world i'd love to swap the sxi for a 1.7cdti, but finding someone in the same position is never an easy task.

so do i grin and bear it or look for a swap/part ex? what would be a good high mpg mway car for around the £3k mark? ideally want something with around 50k mileage as ill be stacking on 20k a year.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If you don't mind going to a smaller car I had a 1.3CDTi Corsa and that was immense... £35 a year tax now and got about 470miles on a full tank! Kinda miss it for that
    Silver 2008 Astra SXi 1.7CDTi 100

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i was looking at 1.3cdti corsas and 1.7Di corsas,theyre the right price its just finding a swap/good part ex really. and itd be nice to stay under the griffins wing.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sktr4lf View Post
    itd be nice to stay under the griffins wing.
    Indeedy!
    Silver 2008 Astra SXi 1.7CDTi 100

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Surely the 1.6 can't be that bad compared to a diesel, maybe if you had the 2.2 you could justify the swap.

Diesel's a good 10p more a litre now. And you should be getting near 40mpg anyway. So it would only improve by 5-10 mpg? On the 1.7 astra anyway.

Although a little corsa would probably save you quite a few pennies over a year.