Thread: Help & advice needed also which car to choose

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Help & advice needed also which car to choose

My 6 year relationship is really on the rocks & looks like we are splitting up.

I now have the dillemma that I can't afford to keep my ACT.

Do I sell/swap every modification on here (shark eyes, snowflakes) then get it to standard & sell.

Or just go to a used dealer and sell it then get a cheap runaround?

Also i need a cheap car next. I was considering a 1.7dti Sri or a Focus 1.8TDci Ghia both say they do 50 - 60 mpg & tax is really low.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not entirely sure you'll find it any cheaper running the 1.7cdti or the focus.

That was my thinking with the 1.9cdti which is why I got rid of my 1.6 8v - Turns out, with the rocketing price of fuel at the moment and the cost of diesel in particular, i'm not really saving that much money!

I'm averaging anything from 43 - 56 mpg in mine - it all depends on how I drive it. From what I've heard though, the 1.7cdti's economy isn't as great as the book suggests and requires a bit more persuasion with the right foot (than the 1.9) to achieve the same enjoyable drive

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear relationships not going too well mate. As for the car I would say strip it down back to original parts then sell private would be the ideal. Just depends on how quickly you need the cash...? Aftermarket parts seem to go pretty quick on here tho
    Astra coupe turbo 280bhp-sold
    BMW E60 5 Series M Sport

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah strip it and sell standard - would get more that way.
    Silver 2008 Astra SXi 1.7CDTi 100

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's reckoned that you need to do about 20k miles per year for a deisel to pay it's way. The ACT is not that thirsty on fuel, I get 28 mpg out of mine and it's running CS4 spec, my mates TT 225 gets 26 and his wife's 180 Golf GTi gets 30.

Sorry to hear about the relationship though, crap times but hopefully when you look back you'll be in a better place.

Personally I'd consider selling some of the parts that aren't essential like the lights so yo have some cash and keeping the car as chaning it is going to cost you more in the short term. If I'm honest I can't see you getting cash and the type of car you want in your sale.

Good luck what ever you do.
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K3FUS View Post
    It's reckoned that you need to do about 20k miles per year for a deisel to pay it's way.
    I'd say more than 30k now. Inflated used values and the increased cost of diesel (compared to petrol) have pretty much destroyed most of the benefit of having a diesel.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear about the relationship mate. I'd say you'd be better off stripping and selling off the parts as you'll probably get more money back.
    ^Click above if yae are^
    >< Proud To Be Scottish ><