Thread: Pavs mk4 gsi

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pavs mk4 gsi

Hi all, I been on here for a while now and thought its about time a gave you a little insight into my gsi, so here it goes..........

First a little bit of car history,
    This is the first astra i had-

I had alot of trouble with this astra i suppose it was just havong no experiance of buying cars, see how the wing is a slightly different colour this is because it had been in a crash and the was very bent behind the wing, Only had the car a few weeks,

second astra was this-

I had a bit more knowledge when i went to look at this asta i knew what to look for rotten arches etc....., But this one was immaculate not a mark on it, it had been resprayed and ran smoothly with no knocks or rattles, I bought it standard and just added the 17s and lowered it by 40mm, After a while became bored and wanted more power...........

I found this astra on ebay and wasnt too far away so went for a look and loved it, It had full vauxhall service history, low miles and only modification was the grill, I didnt plan to do much to it, But i find once you start you cant stop,

The first thing I did was paint the brakes I went for red as thought it would suite the car best,

Next on my list was lowering it, I found some resonably priced coil-overs on the internet and thought i would give them a go, They worked out really well improved handling but harder ride,

At this time things started to go really wrong with my astra, I bought a cheap exhaust and as soon as it was put on the car began producing alot of thick smoke, At first I thought it was just because of the exhaust, But after goin down to my local rolling road for a power run they checked out more car before putting it on the rollers and it turned out that all four cylinders have scoring from top to bottom and the turbo was knackered, After talking it through with the mechanics we came to conclusion that a new engine would be the cheapest option, I got a quote from vauxhall and they wanted £1800 for a reconditioned engine without the turbo and in exchange for my old engine, I thought this was a bit steep and decided to look on astra owners club for help and got in touch with GMAN who had a engine with turbo ready to be fitted,

So I travelled from north wales to southampton starting a 3am and was there for 7am, GMAN had got everything ready and I was driving home by 1pm with new engine all sorted, Top work from gareth and his mates,

The new engine was great, It has had a few modification which include high lift cams, vxr pistons and rods, arp bolts and studs,vxr turbo, also had a new uprated clutch fitted on gareths advice,

After engine was fitted I could get on with modifiying my astra, next was new wheels, I thought for a while about painting the snowflakes white as they were in bad condition, but because i need four new tyres and a refurb I decided to get new alloys instead as it worked out as the same price, These are the two wheels I was trying to decide over-

After alo of thinking I picked the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s in 18s, I picked these because I thought that the black wheels would look too plain,

This is how my astra looks today, Im really happy with it but still got more things in mind-

* Front mounted Intercooler
    *Front end respray (stone chips)
    *Remap to get full potentail as at the moment only has stamdard map,
    *Maybe window tints not sure yet

thanks for looking will keep posted

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quick update, It has been remapped now and has a front mounted intercooler, once it was mapped it was alot faster and responsive, but after a week, i was driving about 20mph and the engine started knocking really loud i was gutted, My mates had a look and it is now being stored in the garage with the head off and sump off, The first thing noticed that was wrong was the cambelt had skipped a tooth one of the cams, But so far have not found anything else wrong inside the engine, but i took the turbo off and it has a crack in the waste gate and the impella moves in and out about a inch, so hoping that it is just the turbo,

will no more next week,
    thanks for looking,

oh i also found out there is no ARP bolts or studs and the cams are not high lift 1s,