Thread: Having an estimate and then having the work done

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Question Having an estimate and then having the work done

When you get an estimate for some work to be done, either to your house, car, garden, website, art work anything in life that usually requires an estimate, would you expect that person/company to stick to it?

Would you also expect an exact timetable of events? IE when it will start and finish, and would you expect it to be on time?

In general would you expect an estimate to be more than you previously thought and took longer to get the work done?

This conversation has cropped up a lot recently with various thinsg in my life, my business of course, the car, some work on the house etc. I think I may expect oo much so I wondered what you thought?
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes i would expect it to be done in the time estimated, having said that if there were unseen problems and the company was open about them, i would not have a problem with that as long as they activelly tried to solved said problems

Status
    The Invisible Woman
    Drives
    Zafira
    Mentioned in
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Yes. I would expect the estimate to be close to the final price, and I would expect to know the timescale in which work would be carried out.

If the costs were alot more than the estimate, and the work took longer, then a lot of questions would be asked as to why on both accounts. If you are hiring someone to do work, then you would expect them to know the costs and timescale involved before they even started
    Why not sign up and join us.
    Become a member today

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Estimates I'd expect to vary (slightly) in price, whereas quotes I'd expect to be fixed.

time wise depends on the job, as unforeseen pr obs do crop up, and can't be accounted for in advance. but having said that any decent company should build a few days buffer in the quote to cover this

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If I was given an 'estimate' I wouldn't want to pay much more than that, unless you were warned part way through that doing XX may cost slightly more etc.

If a company is unable to quote/estimate properly they should take the loss themselves IMO. As its not fair on the customer, because if they knew the final price was going to be higher they would have gone to a different company in the first place.

Would be good if timescales could be stuck to, but sometimes that is out of peoples reasonable control, and is understandable within reason.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Geoff - this is my issue with a lot of companies that hide behind quotes and estimates. IMO you should know your trade well enough or do a detailed inspection of the work that is required so that you are covered for 90% of all eventualities. Its what I do and to be fair if I do miss something I take the cost not the customer, as I see it as my fault for not recognising it in the first place.

However it seems that in many trades they can basically have an open cheque book and take as long as they like..
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    The Invisible Woman
    Drives
    Zafira
    Mentioned in
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    There are companies out there that as soon as they sniff money, drag things out to get as much out of the customer as they can. Its something I adhore
    Why not sign up and join us.
    Become a member today

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think its hard when you do the same thing yourself Matt.

You give estimates for both cost and time span, for ordering stock etc and you like to stick to it, and not give unreasonable time spans etc.

Then when someone does the same to you and does not keep to them its hard to not be a little irate that people do not treat customers with respect they deserve.

My boss treats all his customers the same, if something is unacheiveable in a week then he says so, but likewise if someone tells him soemthing can be done in 2 days but takes 5 he is not happy about it/.
    Handsfree fitting at very reasonable rates in the Hampshire area. Please PM for information.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    An Estimate - As thats what it is, an estimate, I wouldnt mind if the final bill was slightly over, as long as Im happy with the work. And its even better if you are told with notice "Its not going to be £340 because....... Its going to be £360 instead."

A Quote - You wont be getting a penny more out me. The same as I wouldnt expect to get away with giving them less than I was quoted.

Time - Things can crop up, and 9 times out of 10 I wouldnt mind. Everyone has limits though. I would say something if the reason its taken longer is a problem they should have known about. "Sorry mate, wont get done till Monday, the builders yard shuts the weekend" etc.
    "Take the time to make some sense, of what you want to say, and cast your words away upon the waves."

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know what has sparked this matt, and tbh you are too leniant.

I've had 2 examples, 1 over budget and 1 over time.

Budget was sextons in soton. They told me £xxxx amount, they phoned the day before picking the car up and said it was £300 more as they fealt the setup deserved the higher range of speakers in the doors. Told me i would tell the difference - agreed and job done.

Time was trimmers in pompey. 2 weeks rather than 1. Due to the guy doing the work taking time off for a funeral and as he had started the job he wanted to finish it. Fair play no problems, they phoned me and told me and asked if it was ok. The owner and the guy doing the work both called to apologise - really no need !!!

To be honest you are using alledgedly some of the top companies in the UK industry, and you have been let down by every single one of them. Bad luck, bad timing or bad planning - i dont know but like you say there is not another trade i know of that works like the tuning industry. Even so there is something to be said for using the smaller and more personal businesses imo, certainly keeping everything close to home for ease of checking

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast