Thread: My idea to help the Armed Forces - thoughts pls

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My idea to help the Armed Forces - thoughts pls

Ok, if you dont want to read my rant, save time and just scroll down to the point. (Ill never know...)

My Rant.

Im not just saying this because there are people on this site who are in the Army, Navy, or whatever, its an idea I have had for a while now.

I have always loved the armed forces, in particular, the Royal Navy. I applied to join while I was at school and didint get in as I have had open heart surgery (It was always unlikely, but I tried.) Still to this day, I have the upmost respect for anybody serving or who has served, in ANY of the forces. They are the best in the world at what they do. In my eyes, ANYONE who has been on the front line ANYWHERE, to a man, is a hero. I mean it.

They are the ones out in Afgan, Iraq, The Falklands, wherever the $hit is, fighting for our great nation. And dont forget, there are 16 / 17 year old BOYS out there, GETTING SHOT AT for what, sometimes £35, £40 a day!

Ok, so its their job. Im not disputing that, I just think they have balls of steel and it should be respected, not shunned. What really gets me is you hear storys of lads coming home from a 6 month tour, going to the pub, and getting $hit off benefit stealing chavs in fake Stone Island jumpers. Its just not right.

My Idea wont solve the problems in any way, It would just give the people who are on the front line, something to remind them that SOME of us are behind them 100% and DO have respect for what they are doing, while we.... watch the news, go Mcdonalds, clean the car, shag the missus, whatever. They are there working very hard, in all weathers, outnumberd, getting blown up and killed. For peanuts. (a trolley dolly on a train earns more than some of them, whats that all about!?)

My Idea (you ignorant bar steward! LOL)

Say, at the minute, I pay 24% of my wages to N.I and Tax (this cant be FAR off the correct amount) I would happily, no questions asked, take that to 29/30% if it was guaranteed that the extra 5/6% went to the ladies/gents serving on the front line. Not to the jokers living it up miles away from the enemy, but the people who are on patrol, taking buildings, and generally risking their lives!

If enough people did this it could really increase their take home (and moralle) its not a lot to give and do you not think they have earned it?

Will prob never happen, but given the choice, I would "tick the box". Would you?
    "Take the time to make some sense, of what you want to say, and cast your words away upon the waves."

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I would not tick the box.
    That would mean I'd be supporting a war that has Bugger all to do with me AND most of the UK.
    I have nothing against the people fighting it, But they would not be there if it wasn't for the Yanks.(well if we talk about the big war going on at the min)

Plus people who join up know what there getting in to, If you don't like the money don't take the Job?

Its simple. Don't like the wages Don't take the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    Hey atleast MOTing your car should be a lot simpler than MOTing your EX. Replacing a worn out bush on a car is far easier.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Agree with you 100% Joe.
    People arent forced into serving these days its ALL personal choice.

edit: Btw Astrakid, how old are you? Do you have a family to support with everyday bills etc. Council tax? Rent/Mortgage? Water Rates? Can't imagine you'd be of the same opinion if you earn average money like average Joe and still have to stretch your money for everything else???
    Man in the sky murders 40 thousand in Tsunami.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Agreed with the above.

All personal choice to join. Lots of jobs are underpaid. The gap between rich and poor grows larger still.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Way fuel prices are that 5% will get me to work soon lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    Hey atleast MOTing your car should be a lot simpler than MOTing your EX. Replacing a worn out bush on a car is far easier.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AstraKid1 View Post
    Not to the jokers living it up miles away from the enemy, but the people who are on patrol, taking buildings, and generally risking their lives!
    If it wasn't for these "jokers" that are not on the front line, the men on the front line wouldn't stand a chance. So please don't call them jokers as everyone in the forces plays an important part.
    2007 Astra TwinTop 1.8 Sport

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No, I wouldnt.

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We are taxed enough, if you think people are going to want to pay more then you are very nieve in that respect. So it would be a no from me.

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You seem to forget, that if It weren't for the armed forces, you'd be all speaking German and under fascist rule

Whenever I see supports/charities for the Armed forces, I donate

And when I apply for the RAF I'll be doing my bit
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not to the jokers living it up miles away from the enemy, but the people who are on patrol, taking buildings, and generally risking their lives!
    Stupid comment.

The jokers are the ones "behind the scene" who make sure the guys on the front line do it at the right time, the right the place and in the right way.

I'm sure the guys on the front line wouldn't call the people that tell them where the enemy is and how many there are, jokers.
    Nor the people that treat the injured, the people that bring them supplies, the people that even bring their mail, jokers!

Unfortunately hundreds of thousands of people are struggling massively financially at the moment due to the credit crunch and rising prices in pretty much everything. There are charities where you can donate to the services and wounded in action, but I sure don't think we should start paying extra when the soldiers know what they sign up for.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast