Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to this... some advice please.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New to this... some advice please.

Just bought an astra and it could do with a bit of a clean and polish but I have no idea where to start with all these cleaning products available... it's the first time I've had a car that is actually worth cleaning.
    Anyone fancy pointing me in the right direction?

The paintwork isn't too bad, but you can see where its been through a car wash in some areas so I could do with getting rid of that, and theres a couple of tiny scratches too that I want removing.

Also theres a bit of damage to the fibreglass on the front of the bodykit where it looks like its taken a scrape off a speedbump so if you know of anything available to fix that up it would be great.

Other than that, I would just like to know what I need to buy to keep it nice n shiny

Cheers.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wash with a wash mitt
    clay with megs smooth surface kit
    polish, autoglym super resin polish
    and wax with auto balm (i really recommend this for filling the small scratches) see here
    if the paint isnt too bad you could skip the polish
    and a few microfibers for drying

then just regular washing and wax it every few months

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For a good beginners kit mate, you can't go much wrong with this: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/shop/c...kit/p_188.html

Or, pretty much as Lee said, but with a few alterations. Autobalm isn't a wax. get a good Paste wax that contains carnauba, such as collinite or dodo juice. And for drying, use a waffleweave towel. Do not use a chamois as these can strip off layers of wax, but when there's no wax left, it attacks the paint. Also, do not use a synthetic sponge as these can inflict swirls. Use a sheepskin/lambswool washmitt as this will lift the dirt from the surface.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazTD View Post
    Or, pretty much as Lee said, but with a few alterations. Autobalm isn't a wax.
    what is it then? a glaze or something?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks to me to be a paint cleane with fillers and mild abrasives, like Dodo Juice Lime Prime.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    says its not abrasive, you just apply it by wiping it over the paint, looks like ill have to get something to go over the top now
    whats a good wax for that colour?
    thanks

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Polar Sea Blue is a good colour as it's close to black and you can get some good reflections from it. For that dark a colour, I would always put Pete's 53 at the top of the list. http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/shop/w...wax/p_337.html
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ill get some then, would it be ok to put ontop of the auto balm when it comes, or is it better to start again and clay, auto balm again, then wax? (only clayed and auto'd today)

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I disagree about the whole sponge/swirl thing...I say it depends how you use the sponge...I'd be hard pushed to say I have anywhere near minor swirling on my Astra after 6 years of only cheapy Halfords sponge washing.

Rinse regularly, don't squidge it to the bottom of the bucket to avoid picking up grit, wash lightly and in straight lines and ensure plenty of suds between the sponge and the bodywork. Same goes for using a mitt as far as I know too.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    I disagree about the whole sponge/swirl thing...I say it depends how you use the sponge...I'd be hard pushed to say I have anywhere near minor swirling on my Astra after 6 years of only cheapy Halfords sponge washing.

Rinse regularly, don't squidge it to the bottom of the bucket to avoid picking up grit, wash lightly and in straight lines and ensure plenty of suds between the sponge and the bodywork. Same goes for using a mitt as far as I know too.
    So putting a flat surface (Sponge) on top of grit and moving it over the paintwork won't cause swirls?? Get a strip light and hold it over the paintwork in a garage or at night and watch the swirls come to lif. My VXR was handed to me with swirls on it after the valeter at the dealership used a synthetic sponge.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast