Thread: using a projector instead of a tv?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

using a projector instead of a tv?

I've been using a 28" tv for a good few years now, but after seeing a few different mates' tvs, like 40" HD's etc, i think it's time to move on.
    I've been looking at 40" ones, and they all seem to be around the £600 - £700 kinda area.
    After searching for various things on Ebay to see what i can find on there, i've started looking at projectors, but i don't know wnything about them.
    Does anyone on here use a projector instead of a TV? What are the pors and cons with them?
    For example, what's this one like?
    £250 seems better for being able to have a much bigger picture than 40", then paying £600- £700 for only 40".
    Can anyone give any info in this area?
    I'd be using it for TV (obviously), with a freeview box, and an Xbox. Maybes a DVD player too, as i dont like using the xbox because the fan is quite loud when you're trying to watch a film.
    Thanks for any help
    Mk5 Astra 888 CDTI No.58
    "you can’t help but drive the 888 Astra hard, everywhere, constantly" - Evo Magazine.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To get a good projector you need to spend quite a fair whack. The ones u use at work for presentations that cost £600 just wont cut the mustard.

If you have a big enough room with a big enough plain wall to project onto (or a screen to pull down etc) and a good whack of cash to buy a nice HD projector etc then it's a good idea.

If u decide to go half-assed on the projector, then you'd be better off with a nice HDTV.
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've just thought, i'd need speakers too wouldnt i, with doing away with the Tv. So that something else to throw into the mix, plus, in my room, it'd have to be a screen as i've got a picture rail around the room.
    If you say a projector like that might not be upto it, i think i might just lookinto the TV's again instead.
    Mk5 Astra 888 CDTI No.58
    "you can’t help but drive the 888 Astra hard, everywhere, constantly" - Evo Magazine.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you go down the projector route then you could get some tasty floorstanders and surround speakers (not those crappy satellite things) .. a good punchy centre speaker & a decent sub ... then a Blu-Ray (PS3) player and ur good to go!
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    also with a projector you need to look into the buld life, they are probs £100+ ago aswell, probs once a year (Depending on usage)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got a Toshiba projector (about £299 knocked down in PC World) in my conservatory with a Philips dvd surround sound system (about £170) and a pull down screen (about £110). Really pleased with it. Very good picture. I use it just for watching films as a treat. Remember that the bulb only has a certain amount of life (3000-4000 hours) before it needs replacing (£175-£350) so using it to watch tv everyday would run it down after about 2-3 years perhaps. Needs to be quite dark unless you have a projector with a high contrast ratio. Probably best to go for a hdmi equipped projector (cheapest £400-£600). Ultimately go for blu-ray but lots of money!