Thread: Question for bikers

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Question for bikers

Right I know there are a few keen bikers on here so.....

Have recently got a new bike, used it about 7-8times and so far have had 4 punctures on it twice I fitted new inner tubes, 3rd time I repaired it, 4th not fixed yet lol.
    I'm thinking that maybe the tyres aren't very good

Can anyone recommend some decent tyres for off road use - but not stupidly expensive ones lol.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Whats 'off road' to you? Blasting down a rocky downhill section, dual slalom, proper cross country or riding through the woods on a sunday afternoon?

Assuming one of the latter i'd say from experience get some Panaracer Fire XC pro's, ran them for years and rarely got punctures even at low pressures, also try thicker tubes, downhill ones if you can get them the right size. Maxxis also make some excellent tyres, i've got some SuperTacky Larsen TT's on mines but it's only good for hardpack dirt, no good in the wet as the close blocks clog up.

Allterraincucles.co.uk or .com are usually got for the panaracers, chainreactioncycles.com have loads of maxxis tyres and generally loads of reviews to read through.

Are you mainly getting punctures from thorns or pinch flats (2 slits opposite each other where the tubes folded over on itself and split) and what pressures are you running F&R?

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah only been using it in the evenings going out with a few mates, been riding through woods, fields, dirt tracks, and road use.

I know one of the punctures was from thorns as saw them sticking in the tyre so thats kinda unavoidable, but the other times i'm not sure.

First couple of times I was running around 45PSI, this last time it was just over 50PSI.

Back has had 3 punctures, front only the once (which was the thorns)

Cheers for the links will have a look at them, what are the cans of self repair slime stuff like?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    **** me 50PSI! Mine are rarely over 30 and even they're hard enough to roll well in the dirt.

That slime stuff apparently weights a ton, I wouldnt bother personally, a good tyre and tube setup should be good enough.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You think thats too high then, on the tyre wall it says 40-60PSi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im more of a town rider but after getting a 2" nail in the tyre I started looking around.
    There used to be a product called tyre armour( or similar) its a liner you stick to the inside of the tyre.
    Never found it so never used it.
    Try some run flats?
    I'm like a bad penny, old, dirty, and appears when not wanted.
    Guess who's writing a victorian fantasy book. #JamesPurcell #The Diaries of James Purcell

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah ignore the junk on the side of the tyre, i;ve never understood why they're so high.

Using tyre liners etc are a wate of moneey, a few lines of gaffa tape or an old inner tube are the best bet if you want to do that.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    cheers will try it with a lower pressure then and see how it goes. Tyres on it at the moment are Kendo's, will look at the panaracer ones and see if I can find them in the right size, have found the XC 1.2 (?) but was no mention on rim size or width, they were cheap though, only about £11 each.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/2447.html That's the ones, Theyre 26" x 2.1" width, but they do mesure up fairly small for a 2.1 as the knobs don't stick out the side much.

Tyres make a hell of a lot of difference to how it rides and even your confidence as they're the main thing keeping you on the bike when you're giving it some welly. Just remember as a general rule the closer spaced knobs roll faster but clog up with mud, wider spaced knobs clear mud better but roll slower and grip better in the soft mud. Suit that to whether you ride mianly in the dry or not and you sould be fine whatever you pick.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just to highjack the thread but .....
    Anyone know ware to find yellow walled 26/26" mtb tires in the uk?
    I'm like a bad penny, old, dirty, and appears when not wanted.
    Guess who's writing a victorian fantasy book. #JamesPurcell #The Diaries of James Purcell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast