Thread: What does a quick detailer actually do?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

What does a quick detailer actually do?

Currently (hold back, I'm new to this!) I've been washing my car and then drying it with soft cotton cloths. I've never had the car through a car wash and am always careful to rinse the sponge between uses and the sponge never gets close to the base of the bucket to avoid picking up grit.

Over the past month it has been AutoGlym SRP'd once very thouroughly, then a coat of AutoGlym EGP. A few weeks later I re-applied another coat of EGP.

The car comes up very well when drying, to the extent that some 6th formers at work said my car was 'gleaming' which I took as a good thing!

After having a little look at the quick detailer sprays they seem to be nothing more than a light version of something like EGP? Are they still the same as a polish/wax in relation to them making a white mess of exterior plastics?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quick detailer does exatly what it says on the tin to be honest but can be used for numerous occasions whether its spritzing your wax, pads, applicators before buffing off waxes or just topping up a wax. Couldnt help but notice you said you use the tool of the devil "sponge" would defo ditch this even if you are carefull.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Lol...I'll be changing the sponge for a mitt via GeordieBandit soon but I am very very careful with the sponge, always ensure it goes in lines and not circles and always try to float it on a layer of foam. Hose to wet the whole car, rewet relevant panel, sponge one panel at a time, rinse, next panel...I'm sad, honest! Wife reckons I'm mad!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You dont have to loose the sponge.

Use a grout sponge as they hold the dirt away from the paint.
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It is a proper car wash sponge albeit a *cough* Halfords one! Still, the mitts from GB are only £4, like the idea of them being a glove too - can't drop them then!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alan hanson View Post
    Couldnt help but notice you said you use the tool of the devil "sponge" would defo ditch this even if you are carefull.
    T-C*t is the real tool of the devil. I reckon it should get put on the swear filter!!!

Quick detailer is a very versatile piece of kit. For instance, when your car is wet from rinsing, spray quick detailer on a panel then wipe with a waffleweave towel and drying is mega easy and streak-free. One thing I really like about QD is it helps describe what a long 5-10 hour detail is all about. After completeing swirl removal and polishing, waxing so that the car is shinier that when it left the showroom, it will inevitable get dirty. When mine does I simply wash with the mitt, rinse with RO water, then dry, spraying each panel with QD (I use megs last touch), and it completely restores the shine that you got from your hard work during a long and thorough detail.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Can quick detailer be applied on (or accidentally!) onto exterior plastics or does it dry powdery on them like wax/polish?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes mate you can apply it on exterior plastics. I still use it as a drying aid on the windows too. But if you do spray QD on the windows, make sure you break out the glass cleaner aswell as it will leave wierd markings on the windows
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring