Thread: Upgrading Headunit and speakers

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Upgrading Headunit and speakers

Im looking to upgrade the headunit and speakers n my 2002 astra sxi. But i have a few questions i was hoping you guys just may know the answers too.

Firstly the standard headunit uses the head up display on the dash to give radio info, is it possible to get a aftermarket one that will still display on this (aswell as on he headunit itself) are there cables to do this? Also what about the steering wheel controls? i dont want to really lose the use of them. I wouldnt mind losing the dash display, but would it still work with an aftermarket one, i.e display temperature, date, time.

I have also heard rumours that space behind the dash is tight and certain aftermarket headunits dont fit, any truth in this?

Secondly does any1 know the sixe of the standard speakers, as i want to get replacement ones the same size, just better quality.
    Black MK4 1.6 SXI, Just had a polish!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I also want to swap the centre console for a silver one, is it the SRi and GSI that have these??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes u can get "steering wheel remote control ready" hu's and "vehicle display interface" but you will will have to buy a seperate cable in order for them to work.

hu's are made to standard sizes eg, single din or double din, the single din is perfect for what you need,

how manuy doors you got? 16.5cm are the standard size for the fronts.

most people spray there own consoles, not sure which 1's have them as standard though

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just been lookin a Steering wheel control adaptor lead is about 15 quid, but a Vehicle display interface lead is 70 quid, think ill just forget the Dash display, ill be happy as long as ive got my steering wheel controls.

I was thinking of spraying it myself, ive done this in other cars in the past, its very satisfying to see it all sprayed and refitted!

Just one question though, once ive upgraded my headunit, i know the dash display wont display radio information, but will it still display the time, date and temperature information??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the different prices depend on which make of hu you go for, but generally with the display adaptor aswell its alot moreexpensive,

it will display the time date and temperature, but when the headunit is on the date will disapeer