Thread: Question that i should really know the answer to about accidents...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow ColuGav On Twitter

Question that i should really know the answer to about accidents...

What do you do if you have an accident, who do you have to phone? what do you have to do at the scene?

should really already know this but asking people who know doesn't cause any harm hey?

Gav

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    First things first is first aid, Any injuries ambulance and police and possibly fire service, if not a serious accident police to be called details to be exchanged and take as many pics as you can with a disposable camera, but it you only have a mobile with a camera with you take the pic with that, make sure you get road makings, Name of the road, shops in the same shot as the car oh and then inform your insurance company and pass the details onto them they should do the rest but some are better than the others and you may find yourself chasing them up HTH

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow ColuGav On Twitter
    thanks alot matey... wasnt sure what to really do

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try getting any whitnesses details aswell just as a back up

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I second that, make sure you ask any witnesses for their details - and make sure you call the police even if its minor. Even in a small bump if there is an injury (everything seems fine until you get the letter saying the other driver got "whiplash") the police will investigate anyway.

I would buy a disposable camera while its on your mind now to keep in the car. Aswell as what Enigma said, take pictures of anything that may support you if required (wet ground? road works? skid marks from either car?).

If your car is immobile and blocking the road, while waiting for the police (assuming everyone is ok so your just waiting) call the RAC/AA/whoever and they will arrange for a truck to shift it. Of course, you probably shouldnt move the car until the police are there even if it does annoy people.

On that last point, call the RAC/.. early anyway as their guys are very helpful. Even over the phone they can advise you what to do.

Make sure at the end of all this you know the drivers name, address, phone number, insurance company and car registration.

Oh, and stay calm and dont shout/etc. In these events everyone is shocked and shaken anyway, just get the key details and the insurance companies handle all the work for you. And just to repeat as its very important, your fault or not make sure the police are aware and come out to you.