Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Timing Chain

Hi all, new member from downunder here.

I have recently had to limp my SRI 2.2 late 2001 model into the local workshop for some fairly major repairs. After being told by previous mechanics that the 2.2 had a timing chain that they doubted would ever need to be replaced, rather than the belt that the little 1.8 brother holds that should be changed every 80,000kms, I had hoped this wasn't going to backfire on me this time. Unfortunately it has, and coupled with a new throttle body, cracked coil pack and plety of other extras i'm up for a hefty $3k. This is before i even look at new discs, pads and tyres, the former needing to be replaced every time the brake pads are changed.

I have since also been told that the adjusters and guides inside the engine that house the chain are made of plastic and should never have been used as they certainly are not designed to last as long as other manufactured cars.

If this is true, I have almost certainly made up my mind not to upgrade to another Vauxhall/Holden when it comes time to find some new wheels.

I am told the original repair manual notes every 100,000kms it should be checked, and now there are updates available stating 60,000kms due to the poor wear and tear of the components.

Further, i have been advised that this problem is becoming far more common now as the SRIs reach 4-6 years of age. Everyone please get theirs checked as it can cause plenty of other problems if you don't.

I'm sorry if this club is an Astra lover's club and i am raining on parades, but to say the least, i'm not happy with mine as i expected a slightly better quality machine than the one i paid for, albeit 6 years ago.

Regards,
    Depressed downunder Oz Gunner Boy!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ah mate thats not good! i had the 2.2 sri over here and the chain issue worried me to death! its an issue on some early engines as the oil jet that lubes the chain can become blocked causing failure of the chain! there is a field remidy available and if yours is affected then get onto holden! its between two sets of engine numbers that are a problem! i dont know what the numbers are but im sure someone from the 2.2 brigade will be along to let you know! i ended up selling mine and getting the 2.0l turbo which is belt driven! all the best!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    We are an Astra lovers club but were also real humans that have concerns and were all pretty realistic over here so thanks for the heads up.

I'd certainly be looking into those issues if I had a 2.2. It can be quite expensive to sort the chain out but I'm affraid that I have no advice on the plastic guides. The only thing I can recommend is regular oil changes and using a good quality oil.

The 2.2 engine IMO was a good engine but let down by the poor designing of the cam chain. Don't let this oversite blight your view on the other engines from Holden/Vauxhall. (There not all that bad).

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Webbo Gsi is correct with what he is saying, call customer services and get them to tell you the affected engines that need the field remedy for the 2.2 all ally engine in regards to the oil feed bolt/jet for the chain lubrication Field remedy number 1532,They may trump the cash up to repair it as it has happened and they are a where of the problem

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i also had a 2.2 and i never worried about it breaking- it got regular oil changes - every 5k miles or so and it never let me down. the chain was supposed to be changed every 100,000miles or so. i assume the plastic guiders inside the engine were designed to be changed also. to my knowlege i can only think of one instance on here where something has gone wrong with the plastic parts in the chain area, most probs are due to snapping chain. those plastic parts can't be that bad!
    Fitted options: Folding mirrors, cruise control, dual tone horn, remap.
    Next: Bluetooth

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Same problem on the 2.0DTi and 2.2DTi engines which use the same type of timing chain tensioners.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...