Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.6i 16v SXi or other?

Hi, new member here.

I'm about to purchase my first car ever and I'm thinking of making it an Astra. Been looking at the options and I'm opting for a Mk4. I want something sporty but also good on insurance and economical wise since I'm still a student and my pockets aren't too deep.

Just want some opinions and advice towards the 1.6i 16v SXi.

Also, what use is the twinport version.

Thanks.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A mk4 1.6 sxi would be a very decent 1st car lad, i had one and it was a good we motor. When looking at one make sure timing belt has been done at the correct intervals, 40k or 4 years.
    This is vauxhall country...on a quiet night you can hear the fords rust!!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah great first car, thats what ive got as my first one. nice insurance/performance compromise, won't set the world alight but a great motorway cruiser and quite nippy for what it is.

Deffo make sure its had the belts done,i didn't and had to shell out an extra 500 quid to get them and the waterpump done.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got an 1.6 SXi, as my second car, and I'm a student too. Its group 6 insurance i think, and is cheap to run. But definitely make sure the belts been done, and the oils been properly maintained.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Twinport just adds 5hp over the standard engine, plus stronger timing belt. Better engine all round as it give a little more low-end power than the standard 1.6 16v.

Although, if you can find one, and can afford the insurance, the 1.8 SXi is a much better car - ABS and disc brakes all round, and a useful extra 25hp with minimal difference in fuel economy. Personally I think the 1.8 lasts longer too - the 1.6 tends to burn out much quicker.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    afaik the 1.8 sxi is considerably higher insurance, as i was interested in one,but had to go for the 1.6 cos of the premium.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've had my 1.6 SXI for 4 years now, and can't fault it. Cheap to run and insure, and it's been very reliable, as long as you service it regularly

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you could find a 1.8 sport it will only be group 7, should get abs, tc, disk brakes all round on it and wont cost much more than the 1.6 on insurance, only thing is they are pretty old now and will prob have more than 80k miles on them.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah my bro has a 1.8 sport, great car, nippy as hell, but its got 95k miles!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I have seen a few 1.6's with ABS too. I read more and I think that the later year models '03-'04 have it. Not entirely sure though.

To be honest I am in two minds about the 1.8 but will know for sure once I start getting quotes. Almost done with this semester so will wait a week or two.

In regards to the timing belt, would it safer to maybe get it looked at the dealership garage right after purchase and get a new one put in anyway? Same thing with the oils. I am quite nervous about maintaining a motor as you can imagine so I want to play if safe.

Again any advice on how to maintain it would be great. Cheers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast