Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Air Conditioning affecting performance

Hi,

I've got an Asta '03 1.6 8v. As its that time when we use the AC system, mine seems to make a moderate growling noise when I put it on. It also affects the engine performance in terms of slower acceleration and so on. It also seems cool however not as cool as with other cars I've riden in.

Any one have any advice on what needs doing? or is this a common usual astra issue?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine gets sluggy with the AC on,it draws power so tends to affect performance.

as far as the temp it could need regassing, mine is in need of doing too,its no colder than the blower set to cold.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's normal for the car to appear sluggish with the air con on as it is a massive drain on the engine to run to compressor.

However the 'growling' noise you speak of is likely to be an indication that it time for a re-gas, the gas lubricates the system so it is important not to use it until you have had this done.

My Astra was doing the same when I first purchased it because the a/c had not been used for some time, after a re-gas it was brilliant and still is. Once it has been done try and use it for at least 10 minutes once a week to circulate the refrigrant arouns the system this keeps the seals supple and stops the gas escaping again for a long time.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Air-con does make a small drain on the engine but the system Vauxhall use is fairly efficient.

The compressor "growls" as it wears but mine went from 60k to 100k without getting any worse. Air-con performance was still fine.

Contrary to popular belief air-con doesn't affect performance - a wide-open-throttle signal turns it off when necessary
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    Contrary to popular belief air-con doesn't affect performance - a wide-open-throttle signal turns it off when necessary
    I don't quite agree with you.

My '99 Astra does shut the AC automatically if RPMs drop below let's say 700, and I'm sure it does because at that moment you can hear the refrigerant flowing through the system (the same happens when you manually switch off the AC).

On the other hand, no matter how hard I pressed the throttle pedal, I coulnd't make my AC to shut off automatically. When compressor is switched off, there's immediate difference in temperature of the air from outlet, but no matter how long I kept my foot flat on the floor, the compressor kept running and temperature stayed the same.
    '98. Opel Astra G Estate 1.6 16V

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've notice a noise behind the center console when I first turn on ignition which I assume is the aircon pump doing something. If I turn the key before this noise has stopped, it seems to make the car start reluctantly with a few turn overs. Weird I know, but if I wait till the noise stops, car fires up no problem on first turn every time.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not sure which car is in question, but AC compressor in the Astra is powered by a belt attached to the engine, so there's no way that AC compressor can be heard before you've started the engine.

Noise you're describing could be a fuel pump, but it's not located behind the dash, it's in the fuel tank, which is behind you.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wonder what is behind the center console then. It whirs when I turn the key, and like I said if I try to start the engine before it stops it seems to make it more reluctant. I just assumed something back there drains the battery a bit making it harder to turn the engine over, sounds daft I know but it really is a fact with my car. It's almost like waiting for a diesel pre heat before turning the key, I just wait till it stops and then start the car. Very odd.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was pretty sure that it was fuel pump because it should whir when you turn on the ignition.

But, never mind that. We should be talking about performance with AC on. So, does anybodys Astra shut down the compressor while throttle is at fully open position?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nope mine doesnt turn off when I floor it but it does loose 5 of the 7bhp my astra has when the AC is on, best way to describe it is like really bad turbo lag I can move off from traffic lights in 1st with the throttle nailed to the floor and it moves off slower than a pensioner in a mobility scooter then finds some power just like a turbo comming on boost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    It has happened in the past , but I do try to be discrete but a 'poo with a view' is one of life's simple pleasures IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    i have owned two fannys that have blown smoke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast