Thread: 1.9CDTI - Induction or Panel filter? Please help...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face 1.9CDTI - Induction or Panel filter? Please help...

Just taken delivery of my new Astra SRI 1.9CDTI (150hp). Obviously im looking of ways to improve the performance and have currently found 2 ways, one Im looking for advice on.

K&N make both a panel filter and an induction kit (57i) for my model, but which is tried and tested to be the better for performance. I had an induction kit on my last car which was an Astra Coupe 2.2, but a lot of people told me that the panel would have been better!

Also does the 57i sound as good on the diesel as it did on my Coupe?

Can someone put me out of my misery please

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    personally I don't rate the 57i kit, seems to just drag in warm engine-bay air which is never a good thing, particularly on a diesel! The panel filter seems the way to go - I only have a BMC CDA because I already had it from a previous car
    Audi TT S-Line SE TDi Quattro
    Also Triumph TT600 bike

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Go for a performance panel filter. Then a decat-precat pipe for the exhaust system and a custom straight through exhaust system should see a fair bit of difference there.
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeh... then buy the red box that im selling on ebay and you're sure to hit 200hp+ easy! follow the link on my signature!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. Generally the panel filter seems the way to go.

As for the red box, I was under the influance that the green box would be better for my model. The red box's are more suited for the 1.7 CDTI.

I probably won't change the exhast system. Im I right in saying that if you de-Cat the system it has to be replaced every time an MOT comes around . If so, no thank you.

Open for discussion on the Red / Green box situation though

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    You misunderstand me. The Cat isn't removed the pre cat is and replaced with a piece of pipework, your emmissions will still be inline. A Black71 has done it on his 888 and he recommends it from a performance point of view. You won't need to refit it prior to an MOT.

I have infact been reading some engineering notes on induction systems recently and it throws alot of light on what goes on. Its very very complicated, but for turbo charged engines (even diesels) you may be better off running an enclosed filter such as a viper/BMC CDA type filter rather than derestricting the air box and going that way.

Oh and fit a VXR intake if you intend on keeping the box inplace as getting cold fresh air is important.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?