AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

astra 1.7dti engine knoking

Hi all
    Just bought my first astra diesel. X reg(2000) 1.7 dti estate 145k
    I had a few diesels before difrent makes, but this sounds like a transit. Is this normal? The noise comes from the top of the engine.Like a tappets noise. I was hoping that once is wormed up it will fade or reduce but is stil there.I also change the oil and filter(hallfords 10-40 semysinthetic) but no difrence. Is it any engine treament what i can use? Will it afect the engine in anyway? Apart from this it drives fine Normal mpg, normal power ,no smoke starts fine.thank you all

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    These engines have schims for the valve clearance, it could be these that need doing.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We had this question a few weeks ago - it's pretty normal.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    l have the 17cdti common rail engine the later one to yours and thats noisy as hell , the older ones where quieter that the newer ones , sounds to me after speaking to a mechanic at vauxhall because theres no pump and its timed my the ecu they tweaked it abit to get at bit more out of it and in the proses make them noisy ..

read lots of reviews and there all knocking them for the noise levels

in one the guy reviewing it said the guy next door to him was always coming out and telling him the engine must be u/s and the car he was reviewing had only do 500 miles

l liked this one

Truly dreadfull car, as a company drive i can honestly say that paying tax on it as a "benefit" has to make me laugh otherwise i'd cry!!

I have had the car 6months and it has been in the garage 4 times (airbags, electrics etc). The dealers are rude and unhelpful and when they did the airbags they didnt even valet the car so the interior was caked in white dust.

the running costs for a diesel are shockingly bad (more like a petrol) i am lucky to get 350miles out of a £52 fill up of a tank, i used to drive a Seat Leon with a larger 1.9l diesel engine that was probably 20% cheaper to run.

the drive isn't that bad if you can suffer the constant thrum and rattling of the prehistoric diesel engine (its basically a 25 year old design from the equally flakey cavalier of the mid 80's!)

it handles well and grips the road as well as any other modern hatch but the cabin is pretty bare by today's standards and the hard seats coupled with lack of cruise control make a long drive very tiresome, acceleration is good and when you push the engine it gathers pace pretty well (bit of turbo lag for the first 20 odd miles while the engine is cold).

In summary, roll on next year when i get to change it, if this appears as an option on your car list, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, the focus is a kazillion times better and anything in the VW stable would send this thing to the nearest crusher in shame!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrei View Post
    Hi all
    Just bought my first astra diesel. X reg(2000) 1.7 dti estate 145k
    I had a few diesels before difrent makes, but this sounds like a transit. Is this normal? The noise comes from the top of the engine.Like a tappets noise. I was hoping that once is wormed up it will fade or reduce but is stil there.I also change the oil and filter(hallfords 10-40 semysinthetic) but no difrence. Is it any engine treament what i can use? Will it afect the engine in anyway? Apart from this it drives fine Normal mpg, normal power ,no smoke starts fine.thank you all
    Thanks everyone for the replyes. If i put some "Wynn`s hydraulic valve lifter treatment" will it mak it quieter ? I know alot of people are sceptic about adding engine treatment. I myself never used one before.Thanks again

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi ive got the 1.7cdti will this wynns hydraulic valve lifter treatment be ok for my engine as well thanks

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it wont help m8 there shimmed not hydraulic

the 1.7cdti is noisy and there nothing u can do about it m8 , just keep on top of the oil changes

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's the injectors, and they are not cheap

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just to let everyone know I have put some hydraulic valve treatment and done about 250 miles since and there is no difrence. There is a posibility that it might be something more serios Like the injectors