Thread: Hi, and I need seat belt advice

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, and I need seat belt advice

Hi AOC forum, I'm new to the forum and even to owning an Astra (an '03 1.6 SXi 5door petrol), had it for about 10 days - which makes my Astra problem even more aggravating.

Went to see some "friends" who I hadn't seen in a while, since they were watching a football match at their local. They decided after about 30 minutes of the first half that they'd rather go and watch the match in another pub about 10 minutes drive away. I offer to give them a lift since I wasn't drinking, so two of my "friends" and one of theirs who I hadn't met before got in my car, and the rest got in another friend's car.

After I'd finished watching the match with them, I went home and checked my car over, since the one I didn't know had had a cigarette before he got in the car, and I wanted to check if he'd left any ash in the car. Turns out the little $#*t had done worse than that: I found my left rear passenger seat belt half cut through! If I'd actually given them a lift home he might have even finished cutting it through completely!

Overall, I'm really annoyed. If I see the little $#*t who cut my seat belt, he's going to get a knuckle sandwich or two.

I'm using another family Astra that I'm insured on until I get mine repaired, since its no longer safe to have anyone in that seat with the seat belt the way it is and I still have to go to work, so I need to get someone else to sort it out for me.

What I'm wondering is: how do I get a hold of a replacement seat belt and how much it would be, and whether I could install it myself, or whether I'd have to get my local garage to do it for me?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear that mate, Some people are just wánkers. I guess you could get one from the scrappy. But If it was me, as its a safety issue, id let Vauxhall handle it. Not something id try myself.
    Goodbye

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Firstly, hello mate and welcome. On the seatbelt front, I cant be of any real help though. I imagine it being a simple enough job, and you could get a replacement from a scrappys. Actually USING a seatbelt from a scrappys would be up to you though. I personally cant see a problem with it, as long as theres no obvious damage and its intact. (I dont know how the law stands on this?)

Secondly, I dont mean to belittle you but, are you 100% sure the damage wasnt there when you bought the car? If it wasnt, Id weigh in whoever did it....

Sorry I cant help more, somebody on here will know though....
    "Take the time to make some sense, of what you want to say, and cast your words away upon the waves."

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    welcome to AOC and enjoy the forums, cant believe someone vandalised your car! I'd hunt em down and thwack em!

Kirsty

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "Thwack em" I have officially got a new favorite saying!
    "Take the time to make some sense, of what you want to say, and cast your words away upon the waves."

Status
    Liberated!
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how much of a weirdo thing is that to do? Was this an actual man? Or are we talkin child?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, the guy is old enough to drink, but that doesn't make him adult.

As far as the seat belt goes, I've got my local garage buying in a seat belt from Vauxhall (or at least their manufacturer), and when they get it they're going to call me up and they'll try and fit it the same day.

Price? £116 + VAT for the seat belt itself, and whatever labour charges the garage are going to charge - apparently replacing the seat belts boils down to removing the entire rear seat to get at the side panel, so it'll be a few hours labour. I'm looking at a £200+ bill for giving someone a lift, which sucks.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mate, feel for ya.... you have GOT to go round his house with the bill and say "yeah, had your fun, now heres the bill." Honestly! If YOU pay that, hes won and you look the mug. At least front him, please. For me......

This kind of thing REALLY gets to me! He has taken a liberty there mate....

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi just wondering is it actually possible to change the rear passanger seat belt as the tension has gone on my own??? any ideas welcome please

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it has a pyro in it don't touch it as you could blow your head off (sorry just had to post that) if no pyro then it should just be 3 bolts.
    One each end and one on the center loop thing.
    BTW Thwack is a realy old saying coming from the 70's i think ( I remember an old batman series with it in.
    I'm like a bad penny, old, dirty, and appears when not wanted.
    Guess who's writing a victorian fantasy book. #JamesPurcell #The Diaries of James Purcell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast