Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mk 3 tow bar/ exhaust problem

Hi,

I have just fitted a Towsure towbar to my Mk3 Astra. One of the silencer mounting bars is rubbing against the vertical part of the bar and making a frightful noise. I have tried grinding a bit of the silencer bar away (the curly thing that the rubber mounting goes on) but it just seems to let the exhaust move further and start rubbing/ knocking again. The exhaust does seem a tad too long as it has also been touching the bumper. I have been trying to break the joint between the middle and tail section of the exhaust so I can telescope it 10mm which would solve the problem. The exhaust sections are in very good condition and not very old but I can't shift them. I have been using loads of WD 40 and chiseling away with old screwdrivers but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I had the exact same problem on my MK3 but mainly after i'd given it some stick so the exhaust expanded.

Mine was just fixed by cutting the hanger back far enough, I probably took a inch off mine
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosparks View Post
    I had the exact same problem on my MK3 but mainly after i'd given it some stick so the exhaust expanded.

Mine was just fixed by cutting the hanger back far enough, I probably took a inch off mine
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think I can do that as the contact point is the wrong side of the weld on mine. I think I can possibly grind a bit more off it though. It can't need to be that strong beyond where it is first welded to the can?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exhaust pipe diameter?

Well the grinding hasn't worked. I am now thinking of cutting a 15 mm section out of the pipe and fitting a double ended sleeve. So far I have sourced one from Jetex, the smallest pipe size they do bits for is 1.75". Is my exhaust likely to be that size? I know I could go and look but it is a filthy job grovelling underneath the car! I probably will though before I actually order anything.