Thread: Exhaust Help for a thick git!?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exhaust Help for a thick git!?

Good day, questions are for a '52 z18xe 5dr sxi hatch.

Having recently had it in at vx to get a airflow meter sorted, a visual inspection spotted the joint between backbox and centre section were 'heavily corroded' - clever them vx chaps!! Of course they gave me quotes (£280 vx, 230 non vx) which i thankfully declined.

So anyhoo, when it comes to exhaust systems i'm a total dud, but i'm guessing im looking to replace the full system (with s/s). Would a system bought off the shelf comprise of back box and centre section only. Is the centre the bit which inclues the cat??? I dont really understand all this cat-back/de-catted talk. Is cat-back just basically with a cat on therefore legal. De-cat = no cat? Sports car just a fancy cat with less surface for quicker exit??

Hey sorry for all the questions but i've searched through threads for ages and not found the basics I've always like the look of the twin DTM, anyone any opinions on this style. I've seen a piper dtm system for between 280, is it just a case of ordering one of these 'systems' and taking it to garage to get it put on? Any advice is as always greatly appreciated!!!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Check eBay for GT3 (catback with no silencer ~£130) and Cybox (Catback with silencer ~£230). Vaux price is pointless if you can get better for less!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If u need a hand fitting it - gimme a shout

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers. Just had a look at cybox, unfortunately it looks like they don't do the dtm silencer. Are these uncommon for astra's?? Cant find the gt3 one's at the mo but i have seen those before. Am I right in assuming i'd have to buy a separate silencer to go with the gt3 as you mentioned 'without silener'?? There's a OMP DTM for £180, is this much cop for the price and would it stick onto gt3 mentioned?? Sorry for the noob questions but er, im a noob

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers geordiebandit, might do if i get stuck mate.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the GT3 ones feature a straight thru centre section - ie with out a silencer - when mated up with their own backbox it produces a nice deep rumble. nothing too in ya face or chavvy.

I was the first person on this site to use the GT3 kit and Id strongly recommend it - iirc they dont do the tailpipe u require but Id drop them a line and see if they can do u one... should be able to knock u one up fairly easily....

Personally though Id seriously look for a different tailpipe as the DTM just look plain stupid on the Astra but each to their own .

Link to seller if u wish to contact etc.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-ASTRA...QQcmdZViewItem

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice one, the twin slash was next on the list. Know what you mean about the dtm looking out of place. Saw a veccy the other day and it looked ok, but it was sitting very low which helped, my astra's still on standard springs.

Gonna take the plunge and trust your endorse for that gt3 pointed to from your link. As long as A- it's legal (should be i assume cos the cat's still there so shouldn't be a problem) B- it's not chava sounding due to it being straight through, i'll be laughing!

Thanks again fella, you're a top bloke with your advice

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    No idea myself on the noise from the mid sections without a silencer fitted, but I was worried on noise levels so went for the Cybox catback that has a silencer. Wonder if the GT3 backbox has a larger rear silencer though, would suggest why many say it isn't overly loud? No issues with legalities though, the cat is still in place, so no worries there.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, job done, GT3 catback should be with me in the next few days ... Thanks for the replies chaps, just hope it isn't stupid loud on the 1.8 or mr policeman might be giving me some ticking's off

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its not loud at all - itll take a few weeks for everything to coke up and sound even better so it may sound a little raspy when u first fit it - this is to be expected tho.

As for loud exhausts - I know what LOUD is and trust me the GT3 is not loud at all.

Before u fit it - get ur self down to ur local motor factors and order up a new o-ring gauze gasket (not model specific so any mk4 astra with flange backbox will do) should cost about £2. U can get 2 new springs & bolts if u so wish but personally i just reused the old ones as the new ones had too much tension in them.

plenty WD on all the joins a good day or so before u remove it and should slip off a treat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast