Thread: My Zaf at K&N for R+D

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My Zaf at K&N for R+D

Thought I'd let you know what happened a few weeks ago, never got round to posting it on here!

I got an email off Dave Chard, K&N R+D, asking if I was willing to take my Zafira to them and test out a new kit for the Zafira 1.9 Cdti 150 which included having it fitted and rolling roaded to see the results. In return they would let me keep the kit, if proven, or I could choose any kit for any car to take home and also they would give me some fuel as well!

I thought long and hard then 0.3 nanoseconds later I replied with a yes!

So off I drove to Warrington, arriving at K&N R+D at 07:30 as requested. The rolling road area looked a little swish!!

And I was told to make myself comfortable and help myself to coffee and tea

They took the Zaf to the workshop to put it back to standard to start with

Off with the Simota induction kit, on with original airbox and filter, of with the DTUK CRD2

Then it was brought onto the rollers.

Was given it's first few runs. I was told already that the power figures are at the wheels and that their setup always returned low figures. I was asked not to put up any figures as this was just a comparison test. Dave would give me a proper run at the end and let me give out the 'Estimated' figure. Needless to say the first run was round about the 140bhp area.

The new filter and part was then fitted.

Then had 3 runs. The results weren't very good with the new K&N filter no better. In fact it was a little worse! Just for fun we connected the CRD2. This returned about 35bhp more at the wheels. Then there's the percentage etc so errr no idea how much at the hub more.

Dave asked if he could disconnect the battery for a while as the new VX's 'Learn' your driving style. After reconnection of the battery we ran up again. No CRD2, K&N new filter. Results were worse than first runs. This must show that, indeed, the Zafira has learned that I like to go fast as over a time it's set things to run faster! Can't explain it in technical terms.
    On the results Dave said that I could either keep the filter on and see if it did learn or choose something else. I had already talked to Andrew about this (the only other person I did tell I was going) and it sounds like closed induction is the way to go I was watching the exhaust when running the K&N filter and it was very smokey in places! Anyway, on my travels round I had copped an eyeful of this new beauty

So I thought I'd push my luck and ask for one. Anyway, Dave said that it was no problem and then, over the next 3 hour period, built me up a bespoke K&N closed induction kit using the Red Apollo kit. This retails between £150 and £200 Obviously it took a while as there are no parts for the Zafira in as stock so had to fish through shelves of hoses looking for the right sizes and bend and brackets.
    Anyway, turns out I now have a 1 off K&N induction kit fitted. Unfortunately results weren't good enough for Dave to authorise the release of the original kit so he said that they won't be releasing it!

Anyway, this was the finished article that I am going to try over the next few weeks. Initial response is that it's no different in feel to the Simota. We ran it up on the rollers and calculated round about 185bhp. Although this should then go up now as the figures after disconnecting the battery were between 5-10bhp down on the previous figures before battery was disconnected.

I would just like to thank Dave and everyone else I met at K&N for giving me this oppertunity and making me feel a little special for 7 hours

Oh as well as this he took me to the petrol station and gave me £35 of fuel!!!!!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice write up. I have always been wary of cone filters as you seem to be inducing warm air from the engine bay into the system. I would have thought that the closed induction kit would be better.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Great write up, very interesting. Loving that enclosed K&N, very cool.
    2004 Zafira GSi veccy-c intake/cat-back milltek/alpine
    2006 Focus ST dreamscience/full mongoose 275bhp

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    Nice write up, that closed induction kit looks rather shexy
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J VXR
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Add Moonman on Facebook
    Is that shaken and not stirred then Andy

Looks good Mixman, I like the fact it matches your bus too as well.
    Summit White Astra J GTC VXR 2.0L Petrol Turbo (276 PS) with Aero Pack and 20's

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    An interesting read and it sounds like you had a most im=nteresting day.

The kit that K&N devised initially for you does seem to push the filter a long way to the rear of the engine bay so I'm not surprised it didn't really do the biz.
    Fair play to K&N for not releasing the kit.