Thread: Melted ISO harness

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Melted ISO harness

I am getting a new head unit for my mk3 tomorrow, so to save messing about when I get it I thought Id take out the cassette unit tonight that was in it when I got it last week. The main reason for the change is because when you go round corners, the speakers go off, and tonight I found out why, and its possibly also the cause of my bulbs having blown too....

I pulled it out, and at least 2 of the wires in the harness, one of them being the ground wire, have had the plastic melted away.
    The contact in the plug for the ground wire has discolouration on it as though it had been arcing at some point, and the plastic is slightly discoloured too.

I am really hoping this is probably just because of a previously faulty head unit being in the car, having been swapped over before I got it.
    Ill be wiring a new ISO plug onto the harness tomorrow now, so much for an easier swapout.

Can someone please tell me my car isnt going to burst into flames...

Sy

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i would imagine the cage has shorted out the wires where its been improperly installed with the wires trapped or rubbing, causing the wires to short.

Get your multimeter out and have an investiagte, but id say it would be just those wires so replace the iso loom if thats whats rubbing

hth
    Astra VXR in Star Silver - Officially the 2nd Rarest Colour

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Having the brown wire melted is very stange as thats the earth, if it had shorted against the cage nothing would happen

Your doing the right thing wiring a new ISO connector up as it could cause a bad connection

As for the car catching fire.... well if all the wiring behind the headunits still used at least it's all fused so a fuse will blow before any damage is done
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers guys. I kept waking up during the night having a look out the window making sure it wasnt a burnt out shell lol.
    It was gonna be fine anyway, I mean, Ive had it over a week now, so if it was going to catch fire it would have done it before last night.
    I get the feeling it was the owner previous to the last one who might have had a hand in the state of the wiring, as the last owner was a woman who just used it for a short commute to work every day for about 7 months.

Think Ill be checking all the fuses to make sure they're the right ones too, as there are fuses in, but for all I know theyre the wrong ones....

Sy

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, so Ive gone to swap the connector block, and its worse than I thought.
    The wire I thought was ground, was actually the ignition one. Its that discoloured and melted I thought it was brown.
    Not only that, but it appears to have been melting right back into the loom, further back than I can go with cutters and a soldering iron, so Im gonna have to take the dash apart to replace the wire, unless there is an alternative??

In addition, the wire has melted onto the speaker wires (which would account for the speakers going off now and then), so I may have to rewire them too.

And to top it all off, a previous owner has lost the screws for the trim under the dash on the drivers side, so has pop-riveted it back on instead, so to take it apart, Im gonna have to get some screws, and drill out the rivets!!!

Im not a happy bunny.

Sy

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    IM LIVID!!

So livid in fact it just took me 4 goes to spell it.

Managed to get the centre console loose, but not out because I cant remember how to get the fan speed control off without breaking it. As it is, Ive ended up snapping the steering cowling off to get to the other screw holding it in place, and I still cant get to the part of the loom I want to be at.

Am I right in thinking the lower dash trim is normally riveted in? Because it kinda looks OE fit the more I looked at it, but it still doesnt help me get to the problem.

Ive traced back the ignition live to the ignition, and its melted all the way along.

Have I bought myself a turkey??

Im kinda depressed now. The only person I know round here who could help me with this has gone to london for the bank holiday weekend, and wont be back til tuesday now, so Im at a loss as to what I can do.

My only thoughts sofar are:
    1: Is the ignition live only used for the head unit, and if so, would it matter if I just attached that pin on the new block to the permanent live and cut the cable from the ignition to stop it causing any more problems? I know it wouldnt turn off when I turned my ignition off, but as Ill be taking out the fascia when I get out the car its not a big issue really.

2: I can just run some new speaker cables to the door and rear to replace the ones that melted without having to get to the main loom, but how do I get to the loom that goes to the drivers door? Ive tried taking off trim that will come off, but I still cant seem to get at it.

I can see this being just one of many problems Im going to encounter with this car....

Sy

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A resolution, of sorts.....

So I decided to have a fresh look at it today, because as you can probably tell I got a bit stressed out with it last night.
    I took off the trim that goes from under the dash along the opening of the drivers door, and I saw the speaker cable, staring at me (usually the case).
    I seperated it from the rest of the wires it was bundled with, and checked with an AA battery across the wires (if it thumped, its the right ones lol), and it was the right one, thankfully.
    Managed to feed a new cable through the dash with the assistance of some stiff copper wire, soldered it up, all sorted.
    Then I went to do the left hand speaker cable onto the new block..... that one was melted too.

So Im now feeding my son, as its past his lunchtime lol, and then Ill be attacking it again this afternoon, because it will not defeat me!

Ill post a pic of the melted loom once its out so you can see just what Ive had to deal with.

Sy

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Sorry for not replying sooner, you must have felt you were talking to yourself

Parts of the dash are indeed rivited on

Generally it's best to strip back the old loom to at least repair/ replace the damages wires are it could also have damaged other items. Replacing the damage wire with new ones outside as your doing is better than nothing though

I'm not sure what else the ignition to the headunit feeds, is it orgionaly red or black?
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, finally sorted it.
    I have no rear speakers in the car at the moment, looks like it didnt come with any when new (mk3 merit estate), but when I get some Ill have to run new cables for both sides as they had all melted onto the ignition live.

Ive ended up wiring both lives together to get it to work and snipped off the wire at the ignition to make it safe.

What should have taken no longer than about 15 minutes, has taken around 5 hours.

Bloody cars.

Cheers anyways guys.

Sy

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm having a horrendous amount of problems. If I pay you can you sort mine?
    Drives: 1996 MK3 Vauxhall Astra - 1.6 16V DOHC Sport