Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1984/5 Saab 900 Turbo classic THE FULL STORY!!!

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1984/5 Saab 900 Turbo classic THE FULL STORY!!!

For those of you who have seen the following two threads:
    1 -
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=124341

2 - http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=137366

Here's the FULL story, overview first, then "before restoration" post, followed by "during restoration" post, and finally the "after restoration" post.

Enjoy, Kirsty .

1984/85 Saab 900 Turbo "The Old Girl" a brief history

The shell was hauled off the production line before standard completion and assigned as a special build to the exact specifications of an arab sheikh in the Sultunate of Oman (where we were working and living at the time). Before Saab finished and shipped the special project however the gentleman who placed the order changed his mind and bought a lamborghini instead, meaning that when "his" car arrived at the dealerships in Oman she went straight to the showroom floor instead where we bought her immedeately for the equivalent UK sum of around £8000 (1984 prices)

We also have a FULL service history, comprising EVERY reciept ever issued for the vehicle, and every piece of correspondence relating to her. We have the dealer service log book which has been stamped right through to the end, all work carried out where possible using genuine saab parts and carried out by saab mechanics. A running list of expenditure has also been kept (over £10,000 from 1984 to 2004, plus the £3,000+ we have just spent on the restoration) Every single oil change is listed, the kilometer reading when work was carried out and the interval since it was last carried out. If any work not carried out to our standards the vehicle was immediately returned to the garage and the work ordered to be redone properly. We have kept every single MOT since she entered the UK and she has never failed one once, in fact she has never got so much as an advisory. The last MOT carried out in 2004 the comment of the MOT tester when asked his opinion of wether there was any work we may need to undertake in the next few months was (and I quote) "nothing, she's like bloody new"

In 1988 we imported the vehicle to the UK, she was undersealed and waxoyled and stored in a centrally heated climate controlled garage, and as we were still travelling and mostly living abroad, she was then only used a couple of times a year, although an engineer relative regularly visited and started the engine, moved her around a bit, cheked fluid levels etc to keep her in good condition mechanically. She was never put away dirty but always washed, dried and polished before being regaraged, and as such maintained her "just out of the showroom" look right up until 2004. We took her to Saab Owner's Club shows and rallies where she usually won prizes for her condition and gained plenty of attention for her uniqueness. She still resembled a car of about 2 years of age at that time.

In 2004 however having sold the house we no longer had a garage due to buying a 2nd house in France, and so a friend offered to keep her in his garage until we had somewhere new to keep her. Unfortunately he didn't do so and parked her under a tree on a farmyard for the next 4 years.

When we collected her again her underside was still 100% solid thanks to the underseal/waxoyl treatment, and her engine still started first time and runs fine. The only reason for the restoration is that the body panels all had faded and had minor rust beginning on almost every panel (all the problems can be seen on the pre-restoration photographs online at http://www.ukshires.net/saab.htm) Nothing was structural but needed to be halted and put right to prevent it getting any worse, so a full respray was carried out in order to restore her to her showroom-new condition for the next 25 years (at least!) Now we have her again she will again be properly looked after, washed and polished correctly, only used rarely for fun and shows and kept in a garage under a protective cover. On her one show outing so far this year to the classic car show at Hartlepool historic quay on the 13th April, depsite the many much older and possibly more intresting cars on display she gained a huge amount of attention, outshining vehicles half her age.

In summary, her specification includes:

Shell: 1983/84 four door sedan WIHTOUT sunroof, (as would have been standard for the spec level, but in a desert country it is not desirable, hence the more standard lower spec shell being taken off the production line and customised up as a higher spec without a hole in the roof!)

Colour: 155 Elfenbein (a Saab colour but a very rare one)

Interior: cashmere velour sports seats (rather than leather which would have been standard for the spec level, but again leather in a desert is not a good idea!) Velour sports seats are incredibly difficult to come by, we have not been able to find any other car with them in, just standard velour, or leather sports. It is possible that they are custom made as a one off but we cannot be 100% certain.

extras:

Sports suspension, Inca Alloys (changed to aero 3 spoke alloys, the ONLY difference to factory standard on the whole vehicle) sports seats, air conditioning, cruise control, electric windows front AND back, central locking, electric wing mirrors, power steering, APC, sports side stripes, and sump guard. Usually the "luxury" models had chrome trim rather than black trim. Sports models usually had the black trim. Ours apprears to be very loosely "Saudi" spec, on a sports model with the maximum luxury add-ons but the sports trim rather than lux trim. The side stripes were uniquely foreign specification and were unavailable on UK models.

She is now completley resprayed, mechanically all that had been required to return her to the road was new brake discs and calipers all round, new tyres, and fluids flushing and replacing as a precaution. Opinions from classic vehicle enthusiasts so far have been that of complete amazement at the showroom condition, her service history and general story and history of her creation, and that she has remained in our family since new.

Anyhoo that's the overview, next posts: pre restoration pics, DURING restoration pics, then AFTER restoration pics...

Kirsty

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    BEFORE restoration imagery:

bonnet - outside

inside of the front of the bonnet

inside the boot lid

corrosion at the top of the driver's side panel (newest panel on the car) It had also rotted (worse) at the bottom corner of the wheelarch behind the trims

algae along the scuttle panel and corrosion at the wing top

rust at the bottom of the door sills

door sills

gerneral grime and rust spots

door sills

sagging roof lining

pre-restoration at a Retro-Rides club outing to South Shields

from the other angle

At the Retro-Rides meet: me, Brian, and Dan and Nicola with their Chevette

another saab turned up so we re-parked!

she looks better than the newer one now she's restored!

will post the during resto thread shortly

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok, now 56k, don't go and make a cup of tea for the following -get a slow boat to china, watch the tea trees grow, pick it, dry it, and sail back here with it, THEN make a cup of tea, and the following might JUST be ready to view. Either that or your computer has imploded, or been stolen because you left it running on the desk with the curtains open while you took a slow boat to china - either way...
    Saab 900 Turbo restoration progress
    The photos are not every day from day one, just taken at intervals whenever I get time to visit and check on progress.

photo session 1 - stripping down, rubbing back old paintwork, starting to treat rust spots

badges, trim, lights, vents etc all ready for refitting

other side

driver's side closer

</font>photo session 2 - rubbing down the bonnet top prior to removal to do the underside rust</p>

corrosion spot found on driver's side front wing, preparing to cut out rot, patch and smooth

door off and rubbed down

rear quarter rubbed down, rust treated and primered

boot lid removed, rust removed from around boot lights and catch, in primer

photo session 3 - driver's side front wing corrosion removed, patched and still being worked on - just drying a layer

doors rubbed back, corner rust gone.

bonnet off, underside rust removed from leading edge, primer on.

photo session 4 - couldn't see much today as you can see she's under wraps outside for a little while (the doors were inside being worked on) the windows are out and waiting on the headlining to be removed tomorrow. It looks like there is a coat of paint on all over but it was hard to tell under the plastic.

hiding saab!

boot lid back on.

photo session 5 - sprayed, awaiting flatting back, lacquer etc but looking gorgeous already!

it seems odd to see her so stripped bare inside and out!

panels are not on properly - just hung back on for now awaiting the next stage. When finished they will be hung and realigned properly.

a pretty bare interior! A bit miffed about that mark on the driver's seat but I'm sure I'll be able to get it out.

no windscreen!

the finished headlining thanks to Julian and Jonty! Beautiful work! They are now doing the quarter panels, photos to follow.

front end

photo session 6: quarter panels out of the car - one peeled.

the condition before!

rubbing off the old torn lining

before condition again

spraying on the contact adhesive

laying the new liner on the backing card and smoothing down

cutting the edge off the liner

tidying the edges

turned over, ready to glue and fold over the edges then sew the corners tight

spraying the otherside for folding the corners over

folding over the edges

the finished article!

photo session 7 - reinstalling the electric windows & runners

yesterday's lovely roof lining and quarter panels back in

the windows will go back in this afternoon and then polishing back begins.

photo session 9 - the morning after collecting her from the paint shop. Here she has been washed (as gently as possible!) as she got filthy on the way home in the rain, but not yet polished or waxed.

She still has some work to do, for example the side stripes to go on, headlight wiper blades, a new alloy wheel centre cap from there one became cooked and discoloured from an overheating brake, wheel arch trims, and some finishing off from the paintshop.

as you can see, one thing still to sort is the boot badges! They're in the wrong place! Also some niggles are mud flaps oversprayed (need blackening up again), too much rubbing back on some door edges (back to primer) which needs blending in again, and more smoothing back at the front of the bonnet as there are still imperfections. We also need the electric windows sorting still as the front one now does not work. The central locking was only intermittently working anyway before but it hasn't started working again since I got her back, also Brian needs to make the stereo work which won't come on. Julian, Jonty and Brian will have a go at fixing the front driver's seat on saturday.

<br><br>

<br><br>

photo session 10 - The roof showing smoothness (note reflections) after polishing/waxing from the top down to the trim line (below that I can't touch yet as the stripes are still to go on under that, so that area will get treated after the stripes are applied)

the roof from another angle

and again

the bonnet

hiding in the garage!

with the car cover on to protect her against dust and damp blowing in from the slatted side of the garage - it is a breathable cover to prevent condensation build-up

nice and snug!

I like this one - the saab, my astra, Brian's astra, my van, and Jess. (Brian's and the van were dirty though, only the saab and my astra were washed and polished, although Brian's got a wash after the others were put away in the garage)

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Saab 900 Turbo AFTER restoration

Kirsty

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    and finally... : having driven her over 1000 miles to France, in time for my dad's birthday, here's the (feeble) "handing over of the keys" ceremony...

that's outside parent's new house/barn thingy in France, the 35 foot american RV is their "wheely-house" lol where they've been living for the last 4 years (!) and will carry on living while the house they found is renovated.

Dad was thrilled to bits to get his pride and joy back again.

Kirsty

stay tuned, in X number of years when dear old dad pops his proverbial clogs, keep an eye out for the "saab comes home" thread when I get her back again!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just looked through all this after you saying about it the other night (im sure I was drunk at the time and just remembered ) but looks like a great job was done and I bet your dad is / was / continuing to be thrilled to bits
    888 Coupe - The original and best!
    For sale - 1x Kidney, Slightly abused by alcohol
    £45,000 or Part Ex for VXR8 Bathurst-S

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    btw brownie points for all those who recognised the white firenza in this pic:

as the same one in this month's total vauxhall magazine that pic was taken the day after the TV photoshoot It's my mate Cogger's pride and joy.

Kirsty

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Looks bloody lovely that saab does now

Top job to be fair
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Very intresting read and pics Kirsty. Glad you managed to get the old girl back to her former glory. Sounds like the only thing that will make your old man a bit happier, would be bumping into the guy who let it rot in a field!!!
    "Take the time to make some sense, of what you want to say, and cast your words away upon the waves."

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My god, i Found this thread by random in google.
    That rust was Nothing compared to my T16 85.
    Will u restore mine?

Oh, Btw, those arent one off Seats, they are regular velour seats, Pretty ordinary Here in estonia, we have a pair of burgundy Seats Like those collecting dust in the workshop

The only thin i cant figure out is Why did the sheik order a T8 when at that time T16 engines were availible(sorry, i cant type that word right)?
    And what does that black badge on the bonnet and boot say?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast