Thread: My dad had a crash

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My dad had a crash

My dad was driving through a nearby town coming upto a mini-roundabout. A car was coming the opposite direction but my dad started to cross the roundabout first, going straight on. This other guy drove over the roundabout & hit him side on.

My dad was pretty shook up but also angry especially when this guy jumped out of his taxi & started saying "don't you know how to drive" my dad flagged a police car down which was just a panda car & they just told them to swap details & be on their way. When they left a group of people gathered round & started saying they had seen everything & it was my dad's fault. They obviously knew the other driver, who I suspect does this all the time.

Anyway my dads insurance co have quoted £1700 to repair a £2000 valued car! Is there anyway he can refuse this steep price? Also is there anything he can do to stop this guy from doing this to other people?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Typical police avoiding getting involved!

Not sure of the highway laws in such circumstances, but your dad needs to tell his insurance company exactly what happened and the rest is up to them to either fight or accept any claim against him, there's little he can do personally.
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This takes me back to my trainee days, if it is insurance fraud then you will need to get solicitors involved (I can highly recommend DWF in Preston Manchester and Liverpool for ins fraud cases ;-) ) as someone who used to work in that department when I did my training a fraudulent claim is easy to spot. If he has done it before then there will be records from his ins companies which will show this (how many times, same witness names etc). Get your father to speak to his insurance company and say you think it may be a fraudulent case, also if there was anyone legit who saw it get their details and a statement off them. You ins company will investigate it and then get the legal eagles involved, especially if he makes an injury claim. His ins company will do all that for you if you have the legal expenses cover so he wont have to do much, but it may be worth while contacting a solicitor for some prelim advice (this wont cost much, usually 30 mins to an hour for an interview and alot will over advise free offer the phone initially), but the ins company usually does all this for you so get him to tell them ASAP.

Good luck with it and I hope it works out
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    It has happened in the past , but I do try to be discrete but a 'poo with a view' is one of life's simple pleasures IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    i have owned two fannys that have blown smoke