Thread: Air con/power query

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Air con/power query

hey guys, this is linked the problems ive been having with my power steering... i think.

I was sat in traffic today, cd player on. stuck my AC on,and when i did the revs dipped and the engine sounded like it was struggling momentarily. i did this about 3 times,and it happened each time.

Is this normal when turning ac on when the cars still and idling?

Its starting to make me think my steering issues could be linked to some dodgy electrics or bad battery.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you will get a momentary drop in engine revs as you switch on aircon,but the ecu corrects this..
    I dont know what steering issues you have but they can be caused by the alternator as it feeds the steering pump with power when the engine is running,and if the alternator is giving you grief then that could be made worse when you switch the aircon on as it draws a fair amount of current

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    this is detailed in another cpl threads,but im currently running a brand new alternator and replaced PS pump, still having steering issues,and dimming of instruments when turning the wheel etc.

this latest air con discovery could point somewhere,who knows.

My mechanic thinks the ecu could be fudged,im wondering if a new battery would sort everything out.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Happens to me to, the aircon uses power from the engine to run, turn it on and you're effectively asking for more power- - takes the ECU a little time to provide enough power to idle and run aircon hence the drop. Same would go for turning the steering at very low speeds - not good to steer when not moving anyhow, scrubs your tyres and wears them out quicker.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    tbh mate my tires are the least of my problems, turning the wheel at 40mph is hard enough as it is!

hoping to nail this problem to the coffin next week when i get the car taken for a diagnostic run with a laptop plugged in.

Thanks for the replies, I'm just well prang about the whole car now,and desperately want to avoid anymore money wasting trying to fix this issue!