Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry Anyone need a rear spring?

hey,
    appologise in advance for the long and complicated post but just in a bit of a rant.

anyways put in my car for its MOT this morning. it failed on a rear spring, so my mechanic goes ahead and phones the stealers as ask for a rear spring - they quote him £147.50 . so i phone up n ask them myself they quote me the same sayin that its the sports suspension that is on it as its a 2003 sxi. so a asked how much the non sports suspension spring is out of interest. the guy gets back to me with a price of £77.50, so i ask why is there such a bit difference in price.

so he explains to me that if you want a spring for the sports suspension they need to order a set e.g. both rear springs, as they don't keep them in stock. whereas with the normal suspension if they need a single rear spring they order a set and split it up and only sell the one you need. he guy went away and asked his manager that if he ordered the set in could he sell me the one i needed and keep the other 1 in stock to which his manager said no. the guy seems to think that another dealership mite do that for me.

so in conclusion if a go ahead and pay £147.50+vat for a set, im goin to be left with a spring that i don't need and probably won't be able to sell.

any idea guys ??

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Err...3rd party set of lowered springs for way way less? That's what I'd be doing anyhow!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    one of my rear springs went on my 2001 sxi and it cost 100 ontop of the service it was in for to replace, so you must be able to get them on there own somewhere, maby worth trying lmf?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Why not order a set of Eibach 30/30 springs, they are far cheaper and you can just fit the rear springs until you gett he chance to fit the fronts.

They are only 10mm lower than the standard SXi/SRi springs.
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the quick reli m8!

yeah thats what i thought but am just about the sell the car and tryin to keep it standard as possible. as a last resort i may well have to do this though.

any other ideas

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leeeeshad View Post
    one of my rear springs went on my 2001 sxi and it cost 100 ontop of the service it was in for to replace, so you must be able to get them on there own somewhere, maby worth trying lmf?
    yes as the earlier sxi's dont have the sports suspension the springs are kept in stock and there for they can split the spring kits into single springs to sell on. they manager at the stealer says that because they dont sell very many of these there is little chance of someone else coming in and asking for the other spring from my kit

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Contact Dave Dempsey to see if he has any knocking about, I know he has a 30/30 Eibach kit for his GSi but not sure if the axle weight will be different.

If it helps to get it through its MOT I can sort you out with some -30mm rear springs till you get some sorted... You can even bring it round and I will change them too

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry but best practice is to fit springs in pairs not individually, changing springs singley is not the greatest idea in the world.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_mk3 View Post
    yes as the earlier sxi's dont have the sports suspension the springs are kept in stock and there for they can split the spring kits into single springs to sell on. they manager at the stealer says that because they dont sell very many of these there is little chance of someone else coming in and asking for the other spring from my kit
    didn't realize i don't have the sports setup, it looks lower than the ls club etc models

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The SPORT/SXi/SRi's had -20mm springs fromt he standard LS/Club models

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast