Thread: damsel in distress!!

Status
    Liberated!
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

damsel in distress!!

Firstly i feel stupid even posting on here being female with my feeble astra lol but i need help....i've not long since purchased a 2000 astra 1.6 8v and there is "mayonnaise" under oil cap....i've read this can be caused by condensation....but i've also had previous cars with head gasket problems i can't cope if it's that again....so i've read i should do an oil flush, with which i'm fine but...unsure of which oil to use, some geezer told me fully synthetic but i think it's a bit drastic for my wee gal....am i wrong?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    first of all its an everyday thing on this engine so stop worrying!

if theres no oil in the water and no loss of power etc then its just down to condensation and the shitty design of the breathers on this engine.

Best thing to do is drain the oil and whilst its draining, remove the rocker cover and scoop out all the mayo with a paper towel - remove all the breather hoses from the engine to the air intake and clean these out with white spirit or even a cloth and a stick or wire poked thru....

refill with oil and pop a new oil filter on and just ensure that the car gets a good run at least once a week - 45mins or so should be enough to get the condensation burnt off and keep things in tip top condition.

Unless u have any other typical tell tale signs of HGF then Id just put it down to the poor design of the crankcase breathers and the common scenario with the X16SZR/Z16SE 8v engines.

Wouldnt bother with any engine flush as this can sometimes flush away any deposits that might be quite happily filling any miniscule holes etc---if it aint broke dont fix it - a simple oil/filter change and the above cleaning of the rocker cover is all thats needed together with regular runs and less stop/start short journeys.

Dont bother with fully synth - a simple 10w40 semi synth or even mineral oil is sufficient for this engine....dont go any thinner either (ie first number lower than 10) or the engine will just drink it like an irish man drinks guiness!

Stick with whats recommended...ie 10w40.... personally i use 15w40 on mine as its a little thicker and quite a good compromise for the aged design of the 8v motor - helps it run a little quieter too - each to their own tho, but personally id just advise the run of the mill 10w40 stuff....

HTH

Any further questions - particularly 8v ones gimme a shout

Welcome to the site anyway....

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Mmm

As above, Down to the poor design, and it you are doing short journeys, condensation will build up

As for the oil, I've used 10W40 Castrol GTX, but once warmed up the engine is quite tappetty, I'll be going for 15W40 this time around
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    Liberated!
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Phew...thanks for being so understanding, thought i'd just be shunned lol. Bloke that sold me the car insisted 8v was the way to go, i take it not....anyhoo she gunna get a good clean at the weekend and ur help is greatly appreciated i absolutely love this car and she's not allowed to be poopy.

I've got quite good head gasket problem spotting skills now last two did it to me so i like to think i'd be able to spot it, but mr know it all down the street insisted it was definately a problem, saying that his has just gone so he's prob just being jealous muhahaha

Thanks again i'm sure i'll bug u in the future.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dont worry... most ppl just assume its HGF but anyone who knows a thing or two about the 8v engines will tell u its a common trait.

even if it does go tits up - just carry plenty water with ya lol

personally tho having said that I had my head rebuilt (car not me lol) when mine went - been perfect ever since....touch wood

no doubt the smart arse is just tryin to fob u off or worry u unnecessarily.....follow the above and monitor with ur keen HGF spotting skills and fingers crossed all will be ok..........oh and dont just pop on here for help - feel free to post some piccys of said motor (and yourself if u wish) lol

Status
    Liberated!
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i intend to....maybe not myself tho lol