Thread: Please help guys!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Please help guys!

I'm posting in this section in the vain hope that someone has some knowhow on the problem with myG, as posting in the chassis section has got me nowhere,and the problem is getting worse! (mods feel free to delete/move this one if this is inappropriate)

basically i've been having steering problems with my 2001 1.6 sxi ever since the south wales/south west RR day. My steering is intermittently heavy then light, with a slight bias towards being heavier turning right. it feels vague and all over the place. and seems to get tight and heavy at random.

Sofar-

garage replaced alternator as they said the old one wasnt holding voltage (if i dry steered parked up the headlights would dim out,also if i turned HU on).

280 pounds later and that didnt fix the problem. Whats worse is i wonder if there was even anything wrong with the alternator,or if some other electrical problem was making it appear knackered,cos the new one behaves in exactly the same way (headlights dim when drysteering still)

then garage replace power steering pump with one i bought second hand off ebay. 130 pounds later and it hasnt fixed the problem.

So, thats alternator and PAS pump ruled out as causes, but...

Was pulling out of the drive this evening and stalled the car by accident, went to turn it over and it started fine, but with no power steering for about 15-20 seconds!! cue me sat in the road like a pillock wondering why my steering has completely died.

So going on the above, what on earth is wrong with my car? it handles unpredictably and badly, and the problem is showing no signs of going away. TBH its making me want rid of it after dropping nearly 400 quid and having no resolution.

Could i be looking at some sort of electrical fault? ive never had the EML or battery lights flash up (yet). and the car seems to be running fine aside from this steering thing.

So, i humbly beg, has anyone got any ideas? i'm all out and seriously can't afford to throw more money away on replacing parts needlessly. I even wonder if theres any link to the problem starting just after having the car RR'd.

thx,

james

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi ya James sound like the steering rack itself but to try and save abit of money 1st jack the front of the car up disconnect the steering tie rod ends, then turn each wheel inturn checking for any stiffness in any of the suspension components. If all is fine then it's probably the rack, Sorry more money but you can buy a reconditioned one with the same warrenty as a brand new one.

Dave Robbo

Status
    Drives
    Vectra VXR + Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Add Glasgow_Stu on Facebook
    have u checked ur power stearing fluid and lines etc?
    dare i say it, take it to VAUXHALL!!

(now thats something cuming from me!!!lol)

sounds like a strange one m8ty.
    sorry i canna be much more help to u
    The coupe...ITS ALIVE & back from the dead....again!
    The internet: where everybody knows everything about **** all.

become a paid member:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/payments.php

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    would a bad steering rack cause the complete PAS steering loss i experienced earlier tonight? from turning the ignition it didnt kick in for a good 20 seconds or so.

although it looks like the rack might be the next port of call damn this bloody car

glasgow_stu -Garage replaced pump for me and put new fluid through,so that should all be a-ok as far as i can tell.

Status
    Drives
    Vectra VXR + Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Add Glasgow_Stu on Facebook
    cool cool m8.. tiz all i could think off really.. i dont know enough about the front end o these yet.. other suggestion would have been syspension etc but i canna see it being that either tho
    The coupe...ITS ALIVE & back from the dead....again!
    The internet: where everybody knows everything about **** all.

become a paid member:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/payments.php

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When they changed your pump.. did they also change the belt?? I had something similar go on my Mk3 Golf ( i know...), and all it was was the belt wearing down and not gripping the pulleys correctly. Worth a shot for only a few bob...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    AFAIK theres no belt as its an electric pump

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do you have a volt meter on the car? If not plumb on in quick. Look at it when the problem is happening and see what the voltage is doing. This will help to diagnose the problem. I have seen similar issues with faulty earths and batteries. If the problem is happening and the voltage is 12 or below thats where the problem lies
    Be Happy

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If the rack is seezed up then the pump won't be able to move it and you'll see a big voltage drop as the motor loads up.
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i havent had a voltmeter on the car yet,something ill get onto.

Im taking the car in on monday and the garage are going to take it for a drive with a laptop plugged in,to see if it flags anything up, i'll ask him to check the voltage at the same time.

EDIT-is a voltmeter gauge easy to fit? might pop out and get one tonight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast