Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HELP Please! 2003 Astra Turbo Convertible with Idle Prolem

Hi there,

I have the 2003 2.0 Turbo with a dodgy idle on it. As far as I know it is completely standard.

Took it to my local garage and they said they plugged it in to the computer and it told them to change the solenoid - £193 later and still the same problem. Took it back, they said they cleaned it all out, still the same problem.

Also a friend of mine mentioned a hard pipe running from the intercooler, he said over time the rubber one can soften and therefore lose performance? When i squeezed this pipe the revs really drop away, then it hunts again.

Also when I accelerate i notice a little drop in acceleration then it picks up again?

Can anyone help me?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

hi and welcome to AOC

there is a whole host of problems this could be as there are so many sensors on the z20let engine.

AFM's are a common problem and know to fail. map sensors, crankshaft sensors, throttle position sensors, lambda sensors, knock sensors... jesus the list goes on and i dont know shmit about the modern engine! give me an A series mini engine and i'm in my element

are there any lights on the dash board?

is the engine standard? any service history? and where are you? i'm sure there is someone local to you that can either help with diagnostics or at least ask more questions. i'm sure it is sortable though. its a bit like the human body... its great until it goes wrong.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra 1.8vvt X Pack
    Mentioned in
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Hi there,

I have the 2003 2.0 Turbo with a dodgy idle on it. As far as I know it is completely standard.

Took it to my local garage and they said they plugged it in to the computer and it told them to change the solenoid - £193 later and still the same problem. Took it back, they said they cleaned it all out, still the same problem.

Also a friend of mine mentioned a hard pipe running from the intercooler, he said over time the rubber one can soften and therefore lose performance? When i squeezed this pipe the revs really drop away, then it hunts again.

Also when I accelerate i notice a little drop in acceleration then it picks up again?

Can anyone help me?

Welcome, if it was my money I would try some iridium spark plugs they are around £30 a set and the part number is bkr6eix, you can get them from www.sparkplugs.co.uk put them in and see if it cures it, I had this trouble & for what it cost's you might aswell try, the z20let engine also has a fault in the main wiring loom to do with X4 earth connection's under the battery area which are crimped which also causes crap idle & ive had this done too, just for a piece of mind but try the plugs first.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as john has said, plugs first as the zlet doesnt like standard plugs! run like a bag of spanners on idle they do!! ngk irridiums are what you need. john has put the part number on his post!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey guys,

Thank you all for the info, that sounds like a reasonable place to start, I'll get me some irridium plugs to start.

Mystery machine, i am in Croydon, South London, if the plugs don't work I would like to take it somewhere to get it sorted. Do you know of anywhere my way that can help? It is totally standard and was last service 4,000 miles ago in October. No lights on the Dashboard.

Any idea if changing the pipe from the intercooler to a hard pipe makes any difference to the performace and/or fuel economy? the soft one on there now does appear to be flexing a lot when it's revved.

Thanks again, and any further info would be great,

Cheers,

Bungle.

NB Sound advice, "Be safe, sleep with a paramedic" Got me a Cardiac Nurse, so close! ;o)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How bad is the idle problem? Is it getting to the point of nearly stalling or is it just a bit lumpy? If its the latter id go for some iridium plugs, if its a more serious problem i'd check the AFM. I had a similar problem with mine and a new AFM cured it.
    Astra Coupe Turbo - *LawtoSport Stage 3*