Thread: Astra Mk5 CDTi SRi 150 - Some Newbie Questions.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile Astra Mk5 CDTi SRi 150 - Some Newbie Questions.

Hi there,

I'm new to this site and have been trawling around for the last couple of days trying to unearth as much info as possible on the Astra CDTi SRi 150, which I am considering buying in the coming months.

I'm changing jobs very soon and it will involve me having do considerably more mileage each day and so my current 2.5 V6 MG ZS180 (modded to 200+ bhp ) is likely to kill me on petrol costs (and tax next year ).

It will be my first diesel car and so I'd like to try and get something that doesn't cost the earth to buy but will satisfy the boy racer in me and won't cost a fortune to run.

Anyway, some questions (hopefully not too many )...

What is the standard security on the 150 ? Cat 1 Alarm & Deadlocks or something else ?

Is the "Exterior Pack" just an optional extra or is it fitted to some models as standard ? How much does it cost ? Are the 18in 5 spoke alloys part of it ?

What are the official 30-50 and 50-70 times ?

Does the SRi 150 come with leather (or half-leather) sports seats or just cloth ones ?

Do they offer decent support ? (i.e. lumbar, side support)

What does the "Sport" button on the dash do ? Does it make more power available ? Does it change suspension/chassis settings etc ?

The service intervals of 30k/2yrs do seem rather long for a car. Is it okay to leave it that long or should you really look to get it serviced more regularly ? Also, what's the best oil to use ?

What are the key services in the car's life and what needs doing ? Which service(s) are likely to cost most ?

I've heard that EGR valves can be problematic. What are the symptoms ? What other stuff should I look out for on a test drive ?

With all that torque, how long do clutches generally last ?

What sort of fuel consumption do people generally get from the SRi 150 ? The official stats suggest 47.9 on the combined cycle, is this pretty typical ?

What's the handling like compared to say, a VXR ?

I've read that rear load space is poor due to the rear seats not folding flat. Is this the case on all mk5 Astras ? How flat do they fold ?

I've read the various mixed opinions on the DTUK boxes on here with great interest. Can anyone show me a pic of what they look like and where they go ?

Sorry for the long winded first post... hopefully some of you guys can point me in the right direction

Cheers,

J

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What is the standard security on the 150 ? Cat 1 Alarm & Deadlocks or something else ?

Cat one alarm and immobiliser (with deadlocks)

Is the "Exterior Pack" just an optional extra or is it fitted to some models as standard ? How much does it cost ? Are the 18in 5 spoke alloys part of it ?

Is an optional extra, and costs around £1000 iirc (including the wheels) check www.vauxhall.co.uk for full prices

What are the official 30-50 and 50-70 times ?

Dont know, sure someone will soon

Does the SRi 150 come with leather (or half-leather) sports seats or just cloth ones ?

Half leather iirc, but full leather is an option

Do they offer decent support ? (i.e. lumbar, side support)

IMO yes

What does the "Sport" button on the dash do ? Does it make more power available ? Does it change suspension/chassis settings etc ?

Changes the steering/throttle response

The service intervals of 30k/2yrs do seem rather long for a car. Is it okay to leave it that long or should you really look to get it serviced more regularly ? Also, what's the best oil to use ?

Personally i will be looking more towards yearly, with oil changes around 5k for a while

What are the key services in the car's life and what needs doing ? Which service(s) are likely to cost most ?

Again not sure, again vauxhalls website will give most info on service frequencies

I've heard that EGR valves can be problematic. What are the symptoms ? What other stuff should I look out for on a test drive ?

Not sure on that one

With all that torque, how long do clutches generally last ?

Is still a relatively new engine but haven't heard of any problems so cant see a problem myself

What sort of fuel consumption do people generally get from the SRi 150 ? The official stats suggest 47.9 on the combined cycle, is this pretty typical ?

47.9 is a it optimistic to me, im currently getting 45.7

What's the handling like compared to say, a VXR ?

Never drove a VXR myself

I've read that rear load space is poor due to the rear seats not folding flat. Is this the case on all mk5 Astras ? How flat do they fold ?

never put them forward but can see it being that bad?

I've read the various mixed opinions on the DTUK boxes on here with great interest. Can anyone show me a pic of what they look like and where they go ?

they go down beside the battery in the battery bag, ive got one and think its a good improvment for the money, a remap would be better but cost more and have different drawbacks,

hope that helps a little, welcome to AOC
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Half leather is only standard in the Design. And then it's not even leather, it's fake. SRi is cloth.

30k for oil is madness, only for fleet cars that are sold after 18 months. I'm changing the oil in mine every 10k, using a fully synthetic 5W30.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Welcome to the club Jerry!
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Thanks for the responses guys - very useful.

Not sure if I'm getting old or not, but this is the first car that I've thought about buying that the Missus actually approves of

I'm hoping that the in-gear acceleration and handling will be half decent. After the MG (which is about as good as FWD gets in std form, and in its current tuned state would easily hold its own against a stock Astra VXR in a drag race) I'm hoping that I can get the SRi to offer something similar and yet still return decent MPG.

The car will have to stay pretty much standard due to budgets but I think I could stretch to a DTUK box before long to keep things interesting.

I'm deffo thinking of the regular oil changes idea too. 30k seems rather silly and clearly just a way to try and win over fleet buyers.

Is the suspsension quite stiff on the SRi 150 ? Are they composed through the bends or do they wallow about a little ?

Is the traction control switcheable ?

Cheers,

J

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have had eibach springs fitted to mine since new, so cant comment on the standard springs, but with the eibachs on it handles really well and the comfort lost is minimal!

The traction control is switchable, hold down the sports button for about 5 seconds and you will see the ESP OFF flash on the dash board.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

I'm liking the sound of this more and more...

J

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Best car I've ever owned

The boy racer in me comes out quite often and I never worry about loss of control. It's great around the corners, ride comfort is brilliant - there's a good compromise between sporty/stiff and comfortable.

I've also go the DTUK Green box and it helps to put an even bigger grin on your face. You still get the grin without the box, but the grin tends to be even bigger with it

I'll be getting the Simota induction kit on it shortly, so any improvements with that will be a bonus

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Handling on my standard Design (same suspension as the SRi as mine's a Sporthatch) is as good as my modified Mk4 was.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Good to hear.

Pointless having lots of go but no handling.

J