Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Persuade me I'll not notice...or not!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Persuade me I'll not notice...or not!

So, I have a reasonably good Kenwood Head Unit (KDCW6537U, 4x50w, 24bit DAC etc, use a USB Pen to store WMA/MP3 tracks at decent bitrate). It is matched with some now 7 and 8 year old speakers:

Kenwood 16cm components up front (tweeters in OEM mountings in wing mirror section on doors)

Alpine 6x9's on custom MDF'd rear stealth shelf

I run treble-blockers inline with the 6x9's which I have always liked, it keeps the treble at the front of the car which I always felt kept the sound stage where it should be given it is 99% only ever me in the car.

I have been debating for ages whether I would benefit from changing the speakers - on occasion I see the highly thought-of Infinity Kappa 6x9's for ~£70 new alongside the matching 16cm components for ~£100 or less. I wonder if I'd actually notice much difference or whether, to be honest, I should just stick with what I have and save my money.

Anyone got any thoughts? The existing speakers were not cheap but not expensive either. Think they were around the same price years back that the Infinity ones above are now.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    So, I have a reasonably good Kenwood Head Unit (KDCW6537U, 4x50w, 24bit DAC etc, use a USB Pen to store WMA/MP3 tracks at decent bitrate). It is matched with some now 7 and 8 year old speakers:

Kenwood 16cm components up front (tweeters in OEM mountings in wing mirror section on doors)

Alpine 6x9's on custom MDF'd rear stealth shelf

I run treble-blockers inline with the 6x9's which I have always liked, it keeps the treble at the front of the car which I always felt kept the sound stage where it should be given it is 99% only ever me in the car.

I have been debating for ages whether I would benefit from changing the speakers - on occasion I see the highly thought-of Infinity Kappa 6x9's for ~£70 new alongside the matching 16cm components for ~£100 or less. I wonder if I'd actually notice much difference or whether, to be honest, I should just stick with what I have and save my money.

Anyone got any thoughts? The existing speakers were not cheap but not expensive either. Think they were around the same price years back that the Infinity ones above are now.
    How about getting a 4ch amp for the setup?
    Arden Blue Astra VXR

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Never been fussed on amping it all, the volume is more than sufficient, plus I have limited boot space (LPG conversion so spare wheel is in boot space). It's a decent enough amp in the head unit for all intents and purposes. More curious if I would noticeably improve sound quality with some new speakers like the kappa's.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Never been fussed on amping it all, the volume is more than sufficient, plus I have limited boot space (LPG conversion so spare wheel is in boot space). It's a decent enough amp in the head unit for all intents and purposes. More curious if I would noticeably improve sound quality with some new speakers like the kappa's.
    U use an amp not for the the loudness of the system but the clearer sound which is reproduced by the amp! i go for sound quiltaly over loudness any day

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh deffinatly an amp, apart from anything else, it will save your head unit dieing on you .
    the basic speakers are actualy pretty good and might actualy be better then the bargin ones you can buy at halfrauds.
    for a cheap sound quality upgrade, pack sound deadening matts and foam in your door card, cheap, will reduce exterior noise, and will reduce rattling on the door card-which will make you music sooo much sweeter
    Astra: Drive it like you stole it.

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah

In my opinion, you should ditch the 6x9s

Sounds is only recorded in 2 channels, left and right

There is no need for rear fill inside a car, its not as if you drive from the passenger seats
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Not much point spending big money on decent speakers to run them off an internal amp on a HU. Your not going to notice much difference. Remember the HU will only be running at around 4x25w as well, 4x50w is the max figure not RMS

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I have uprated speakers already. When the parcel shelf is out I lose oodles of bass, ditching the 6x9's is really not an option. The 6x9's are mounted on a whacking great bit of MDF screwed under the OEM shelf, they sit beneath the MDF and have a metal mesh above them screwed on top of the shelf, then all covered in acoustic carpet, above and below - can't tell it is done unless you lift the boot.

I have the treble-blockers inline with the 6x9's so they only produce mid and bass, it does improve things if you ask me, keeps all the treble up front - I don't want to fill the rear of the car with sound. If the boot is open with the 6x9's in use the bass is also lost, guess the boot space acts as some kind of 'box'.

There was also oodles of difference running a new HU with the OEM speakers - changed the HU first years ago then stuck the speakers in a few weeks later. And that was with a much old Kenwood HU though the same speakers.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you best of with a small sub, ditch the 6x9's
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    There-in lies the lack of boot space due to have a spare wheel well full of an LPG gas tank with the spare wheel in the boot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast