Thread: Trailering a Car?

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Trailering a Car?

Is it true that you have to be over 25 to have a car with a trailer?!

All I can find on dvla website is that if you had your licence before 1997 you get to keep your trailering rites or something

I'm 21, do I have to pass a trailer test?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you need to have cat BE on your license, if you dont then you cant tow trailer, dunno how you go about doing a test for it or even if there is such a thing..try asking local plod
    My ambition is to live forever,.. so far so good

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    can you not tow a certain size trailer or something like that.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ur car entitlemet will allow u to tow a trailer upto 750kgs

anything above this will require a "+E" entitlement added to the relevant category.

YES this test/category does exist - just ask at a local test centre and they'll give u the relevant information.

All licences gained prior to 1 Jan 1997 will have the "...+E" automatically added when the car category was achieves, as will they have the 7.5t & minibus entitlement (ie 3.5-7.5t goods vehicles and 9-15seat minibuses) whereas those with licences after this date can only tow upto 750kgs, goods vehicles upto 3.5t (ie a normal car licence) and upto 8seats (ie car licence)

I got my licence after this date but passed the +E entitlement on an articulated HGV therefore the trailer entitlement was added to every category i have.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This question comes up a lot on forums.

If you passed your test after 1997 you CAN still tow a trailer over 750kgs WITHOUT having to do the "B+E" trailer test.

The condition is that the maximum trailer weight is not greater than the MAM of the car, and that the car + trailer weight is not greater than 3500 kgs.

I passed my test in 1999, i havent done the trailer test but i could still tow a 1200 kg caravan (for example) with my 1500kg vectra c because the total weight is less than 3500kg.

See this quote from direct.gov website:

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.
    For example:
    • a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle