Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Knockhill Track - DONE !

Knockhill Track - DONE !
    Well, did the intro to track days last night at knockers...
    maybe fried the brakes……they were nice ebc redstuff...now a burnt grey colour !
    lost two centre caps from heat …..smoking brakes when I finally stopped...
    A mate at work was there, her husband on track in an 07 Scooby Imprezza STi..I never managed to overtake him…but kept on his ass all the time !

Out of 8 cars, he and I stayed out all the time, and must have been fastest…..
    managed to overtake J plate skyline, VX220 turbo, Porsche, Honda S2000
    ….others (audit tt, elise) did’nt stay out on track long enough for us to get them !

Tyres scrubbed a bit as well.... but great fun

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Now its just a case of washing the skid marks off the drivers seat and your good to go to the Ring.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll need to chat regarding changes between knockers and the ring...

Presumably less corner sequences, as its a faster track...etc

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Errr... no!

The Ring is nothing like Knockhill. At Knockhill you learn the line, braking points, turn in and exits points within a handfull of laps. The Ring... well, doesn't even come close. It's impossible to put into words but trust me, NOTHING prepares you for a quick lap there. Knockhill is 1.2 miles... the Ring is 14. The mental and physical strain is unreal, the stress on the car and teh concentration levels are unreal. At Knockhill you can do a fast lap relatively relaxed, try that on the Ring and you're dead. Simple as that.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fair bit of differance with the ring. Biggest differance is that on Knockhill you can do a few laps and pieceing together corners, track speed etc. can be pciked up quickly, Ring on the other hand is just too damn long to do it.
    You will find that you can piece certain bits together the more laps you do but trying to remember how it all flows together is nigh on impossible. Theres one corner in specific where you come to the top of the hill and its blind, as you come up it looks like a soft left hand corner its not until your on top of it that you find its a 90-degreee left. It caught me out everytime.

Knockhill will be good for learning cornering angles etc. as this is one area where accuracy can compensate for speed, leraning cornering lines etc. is a big advantage. As well as mechinical sympathy, youll no doubt have found how much use your brakes will take on Knockhill before overheating, the take into account that 1 lap of the Ring is over 11times longer per lap. As you will find the physical toll is immense on the Ring, youll find that youll struggle to do 2 fast laps one after the other as after 1 hard lap youll be sweating like a Priest in a Nursery.
    One thing that is worth thinking about (however gay it may been seen), is a set of racing gloves as I found that with the physical toll your hands get sweaty quickly gloves would stop that transfering to the steering wheel and allow extra grip.

Did you use your trck wheels?

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did use the Toyo 888 tyres (my standard 19's have a crack in one rim, so not being used now).

Tyres were scrubbed a fair bit...like in Days of Thunder lmao !

I'm considering going the next stage of tuition an knockhill with an instructor for 25 laps. I know I could probably learn as much myself, but he would probably tell me quicker where I'm going wrong and how I can improve. If it's gonna save me a set of tyres or pads each trackday then it'll be worth it.

...but I need to change the map and try and get rid of this flat spot at just over 3k....or I wont enjoy it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cracked rim - nice, seems a common problem though looking at VXR-online.

25laps with an instructors never going to hurt tbh, ok so its not going to teach you about the Ring itself but it will help you find how to get the best out of the car on the track and give a basics of track driving quickly without wearing the car out. What sort of price was that coming in at?

As for flat spot, seems pretty common for VXR maps, my Thorney map on mine had that, never seemed happy to pull smoothly at 2.5k-3k you tried the lower power map of the 3?

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not tried lowest yet....
    last one was the hilariously named nurburgring map, which was supposedly setup for going round there !

round about a ton for the instruction - as you say main reason is to learn to not wear the tyres/gearbox out !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If your going ahead with the instruction gimme a shout would be interested in doing it as well.

Also talking about meeting with TD the night for a pint if you fancy it?

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got things to do, including cleaning up garage