Thread: plumbing connundrum

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question plumbing connundrum

anyone have any plumbing knowledge? my toilet cystern takes for ever to fill up, the water pressure on every other tap is fine, and the flush (when it does eventually fill up) is also fine
    any ideas?
    My ambition is to live forever,.. so far so good

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    take the top off the cistern, and look at the valve on the tap that fills it. has it closed slightly? as in, instead of being open on full chat when the ball is at the bottom of the cistern, its only half open? flush the loo (so the water/ball drops) then have a fiddle and see if it can be opened any more...
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    take the top off the cistern, Flush the toilet & you should be able to see where the problem is! it will either be the ballcock sticking or a problem with the water inlet valve, When you flush the toilet the ballcock (which floats on top) drops with the water level which inturn opens the water inlet valve thus filling the cisturn back up till the ballcock rises back up which then closes the water valve.
    Astra SXI 1.6 16v
    > Irmscher i line <

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ahh well heres what i think...

Your cistern is probably filled from a tank in the loft (low pressure) rather than a rising main (high pressure).

Cistern filler valves can be low or high pressure, usually just a small plastic cone with a hole in it. Blue with a small hole = high pressure, red with a large hole = low pressure (iirc).

If you look at the arm with the float on the spare valve is normally clipped onto the arm. You unscrew the end of the arm where it meets the rising part and swap over the high & low pressure valves.

If you have a low pressure valve in a high pressure system the toilet flush is very loud and fast, everyone in the house knows youve just been. A high pressure valve in a low pressure system works fine, but takes 20 mins or so to refill the cistern, no good if you have a big job that one flush just wont sort.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sport-hatch150 View Post
    Ahh well heres what i think...

Your cistern is probably filled from a tank in the loft (low pressure) rather than a rising main (high pressure).

Cistern filler valves can be low or high pressure, usually just a small plastic cone with a hole in it. Blue with a small hole = high pressure, red with a large hole = low pressure (iirc).

If you look at the arm with the float on the spare valve is normally clipped onto the arm. You unscrew the end of the arm where it meets the rising part and swap over the high & low pressure valves.

If you have a low pressure valve in a high pressure system the toilet flush is very loud and fast, everyone in the house knows youve just been. A high pressure valve in a low pressure system works fine, but takes 20 mins or so to refill the cistern, no good if you have a big job that one flush just wont sort.
    this sounds almost like the prob, but i dont have a ball valve, it's a pipe with a float type thing atached....aww hell i'm off to take some pix

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    isolate the water and remove the tap connector/hose on the mains inlet of the cistern. you will find a restrictor inside the pipe. grab a pair of long nosed pliers and remove it. the restrictor is only needed on mains pressure installations... chances are when bought the low pressure restrictor was part of the kit if you have it fit that if not dont worry about it.

Danny
    SE2 coupe - veccy c airbox mod, total closure, blue led interior goodies, hid kit, angel eyes,led handle lights,kerb lights,uv footwell neons, twin exhaust,leds everywhere, tints,door pins

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Stop doing shits that require 4 flushs before it's gone, then it will be fine

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam666 View Post
    Stop doing shits that require 4 flushs before it's gone, then it will be fine
    i've tried telling the missus that but it dont help...she just opens and says ahhhh