Thread: Potentially moving from Rover 25 to Astra MK4

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Potentially moving from Rover 25 to Astra MK4

Hey, I thought I'd try and get a heads up on any potential problems with the Mk4 Astra, and what greater place to start than the forums?

I'll start off by admitting that I love my Rover 25, but it's about to give out another head gasket failure. That'll be another £300+ repair. I've spotted 2 astra mk4's close by that may do a swap for the R25 seeing as it passed it's MOT less than two weeks ago.

Just wondering how good the 1.6 8v 101 bhp models are? My 1.4 supposedly kicks out 101 bhp too, but age does hinder this so it won't be as high. I'd say my car was fairly nippy for a 1.4, does the astra seem sluggish?

Any help is appreciated

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome along.

Anyone who says the 1.6 8v has 100hp is fibbing. They either come 75hp with the old pre-MY01 SPI X16SZR (miserable engine), or 85hp with the newer MPI Z16SE. Same block, different injection and manafolds. SOME Z16SE have seen into the high 90hp area standard, but they're the exception to the rule.

The 1.6 8v is a totally different engine to drive than the 1.4 K-series. The K is a fizzy high revver, where the 1.6 8v Vaux is a torque monster, and drives much like a diesel.

As said, avoid the earlier X16SZR, and don't worry about mayo on the oil cap on the 1.6 8v - they all have it due to a clogging breather. Other than that they're reliable - my housemate drove a 1.6 8v LS for 85k in just over 2 years, and apart from 2 services and a plug lead he did nothing to the engine.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Go for the 1.6 16v or if you can afford it the 1.8 16v
    Arden Blue GSi

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    There was never any pleasant comparison to make between my wife's now gone 1.6 16v 25 and my 1.6 16v Astra-G/MK4. Aside from mine being a higher spec model suspension/handling wise, the Rover just didn't seem to do anything with the reputed bhp. The interior was again not worth comparing, the comfort and space in the MK4 Astra is lovely compared to the Rover.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi TheStig.
    Head gasket failure, was the last straw for me with my Rover 214si.
    I now drive an Astra MK4 G 1.6 16V.
    I will say it is not as responsive to the throttle as the Rover, but seems to be as solid in bodywork. (There is a De-Restriction mod detailed somewhere on this Forum)
    Fuel consumption is similar.

And, although my wife loved the Rover, she likes the Astra.

I wish you success and enjoyment as well.

Regards
    James Watt
    Standard 2002 1.6 16V Astra MkIV 'G'

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Coming from an ex-Rover driver, the Astra is a lot stronger car. I've had a few bumps in the Astras I've had, and all of them I've been glad I wasn't in the Rover.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My mate has a rover 214, the acceleration is pretty much exactly the same as my mk4 1.6 16v, the astra leaves it at around 60 and has more space/comfort to boot. So, I wouldn't expect any performance difference (unless you go for the 8v model I suppose?) just expect a bit more comfort and security if you go for a 1.6.
    Watch who's comin' at you! Why? Who's got the power?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My astra 1.6 has 90BHP i dont find it sluggish at all, but then for a first car, i suppose i am pretty bias. However my astra keeps up with my brothers astra which is a 1.6 16valve auto, i know you lose power for a auto but i dont think its that much. I would recommend the 16 valve 1.6, but even the 8valve is still pretty great imo. Love the car. As the guy said above it does get some whitish slime on the oil cap, and when i got mine i thought ahhh, need a head gasket but after a good run, it goes away .

GOod luck, Astra is the way to go though.