Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+

Curious problem with the engine management light

The Evil Bus has developed a curious fault!

For those unfamiliar, it's a 2002 Zafira Z16XE. This week, it has started sporadically popping on its engine management light (not the emissions light, the little car with a spanner through it)

Now as I understand it, this is the car supposedly entering limp home mode due to a fault with the engine management. Thing is, I don't notice any loss of power or change in driveability. It always does it when coming to a stop, usually after about 10 mins of driving - engine slows to idle and the light pops on. Switching the engine off then back on clears the light and normal service is resumed.

Now I've plugged in my laptop, and Digimoto says no error codes are present - even when the light is on!

This one has got me a little puzzled as there seems to be no ill effects of the light popping on that I can notice. Has anyone else had anything like this happen? I know I may have to visit VX, but I can't help but think all they're gonna do is plug in Tech2, find no fault codes, and say "Dunno! That'll be £60 please!"
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just posted in the below link, check you eath point!!! this maybe where to start??

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=138579
    One of the few,,, Mk1'ers!!!!!

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+

Nailed it... I think!

Sorry to bump this, but in the interest of possibly helping someone diagnose similar problems

As previously stated, my ELM interface & Digimoto was logging no error codes. So out of curiosity, I dug out my old Opel-Tech 2 interface with the dodgy Hungarian software and downloaded the demo version of Op-Com - the latest paying version of the software.

Plugged it in, read the error code... aha, Brake Light Circuit Malfunction! Reset the code, out went the light.

Now read this (from post no. 26 onwards):

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...=140849&page=2

As you can see, I'd recently fitted LED brake & tail bulbs. As it happened, the bulbs were not going out completely, causing an error code to be logged which lit up the engine management light on the dash. There was nothing wrong with the engine or it's management at all, which would explain why there was no loss of power when the light came on!

So in summary, it would seem that you can add LED bulbs to the list of things that make your engine management light mysteriously come on. I'm going to do the brake / fog lamp swap mod to try and get around it as I have fairly dark smoked lights and want to keep the LED bulbs, but it may be easier / quicker for you to just swap back to old filament bulbs

EDIT: Oh yeah, I checked the ECU's earthing point Mitch - seemed ok, but I gave it a clean anyway
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971