Thread: sporadic eml and car not starting sometimes

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

sporadic eml and car not starting sometimes

Its a rather odd thing, but i got a 2.0 litre 99 astra g, everything seems to be fine, but on a few times the engine managment light has come on, i switched the engine off and then on and ithe light goes off, a few days later it will come on, restart engine and it goes.
    This past week the car has failed to start twice, not a major issue as i jus started it again and it started. eml didnt come up that time.However im still under warrenty with garage and AA, i know the cambelt hasent been changed and its up to 51k miles. Just need to to see if its an issue or jus one of those things

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    seeing as its an early model u can read the ECU trouble codes ur self with a paperclip instead of a costly diagnostic hookup

heres a little how-to i did a while back - ignore the references to the other car (as this was taken from someone elses thread) but the principles of self-diagnosis are the same.
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...69&postcount=4

if u get stuck with the codes - check out www.topbuzz.co.uk or ask on here and we'll help in any way we can

HTH

*my guess is coilpack/plugs or CTS

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok iv done the paper clip, and it seems the code im getting is 0403 which i beleive, going by topbuzz is the EGR valve, i think iv read a lot about them on here.
    Whats my next move geordiebandit? Il have a mooch around the site for an answer at the mo

thanks for the help, this website is pretty dam good i must admit!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    going by other peoples post,s looks like i will either need to clean the lil b***er or get a new one, i might jus use my warrenty with the AA and get them to fit a new one for free...what are yours thoughts?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    clean it for sure first of all - can of carb cleaner is about £3 from a local motor factors - £6 from halfords if ur feeling flush!

the design of the EGR on the X20XEV is a little different to other models but the principle for cleaning it is the same.

Clean it as much as u can and remove and traces of built up carbon....whilst ur at it - remove the air intake trunking and clean the throttle body and butterfly as much as possible too - paying particular attention to the underside of the butterfly etc

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    decided to book it into the local garage, get the cambelt done on the warrenty and the valve too, in fact im jus gonna say anything which needs doing do it. While its under warrenty might as well.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    actualy i might go ahead and clean it anyway, just to learn, has been juddering some what recently. Trouble is the cleaning throttle body article dosent seem to work at the moment, and im unsure what the butterfly is?
    thanks for your time and help